Is it ever alright to lie to the OH..?

John K

When I purchased my milling machine for £1100 I created a fake eBay listing on a second account and asked a question offering a buy it now of £500 which I of course agreed to then showed the mrs the email. Then ended the listing.

Me bad :)

• Like 4

Probably the OH has dictated what was being done to the house etc so only fair the Westy gets equal treatment...............end of debate :westy:  :white-westy:  :black-westy:  :orange-westy:  :yellow-westy:  :db-westy:

Life rule No1: If you're dong something you'll be embarrassed about when the wife finds out - don't do it!

I have no trouble telling the wife how much I spend on tools, bike and car parts, she can tell me how much she spends on shoes and handbags but we rarely ask each other because with a joint account it's not like we can cover it up. Why do people feel the need to keep secrets when relationships are suppose to be about openness and honesty?

So in answer to the title - IMO, no, it's never alright to lie. Only time I had to lie about financial matters is when I bought her engagement ring

• Like 3

BIG mistake.  She probably thinks you spent at least a grand to get that sort of discount.

More likely she'll see that as £300 she can now spend on shoes/bags...... Womens logic ;)

My missus, is terrible, she won't buy something at full price, but if she gets a discount she'll spend what she saved on something she'd never have bough otherwise lol

There is some logic which states that whatever we spend on our toys its fair game for the boss to follow suit and spend the same, particularly when/if they find out. That unfortunately may lead to a cash flow issue when more upgrades are required. Especially if you need several costly items together. Honesty is the best policy but sometimes selective memory loss assists. Couldn't condone dishonesty and with a supportive partner is never an issue - then I woke up. :down::p:angry: :angry: :love: My Mrs was very tolerant when I was shelling out wedges on the kit and fancy engine parts, fuel injection and all the other gubbins so can't grumble I suppose.

Bob :d

Next step is to tell the mrs. you need to build a double garage to fit  your Westfield   boxes & tools  in.  

my OH has competition show jumpers and dressage horses x4…… one horse could buy 3 westfield S2000's so I basically fiddle the hay budget to go racing !!!

I must be very very lucky, my missus has bought most of my good tools for me. Few years back she got a work bonus and went out and got me an engine crane, compressor, air tools, engine stand. One Valentine she even bought me a nice Bosch jigsaw. Plus, when we moved last year she positively encouraged me to build the man-shed so I could finally have a decent workshop after years of struggling in a small single garage.

But to answer your question, no. Something wrong if you feel you have to lie about it IMO.

• Like 1

You are a lucky bloke, she's a keeper..!

BTW when I said "lie" that was a bit flippant, we have a joint account, she sees all the ins and outs, I was just meaning is it OK to be 'creative' with my justification as to why I needed them.

As in "my life is an empty void sucking all the joy out of my existence, getting a tool chest combi would salve my soul"

Sounds like you need some nice new slimline tools that fit into the 3" drawers ......

The others were worn out by all that DIY.

If you sneak them into the shed when she's asleep you don't need to lie.

P

Oh no !!! She has resprayed my bikes and said .... " They have always been this colour ... They are not new ! ... Be honest as they will always find out as I have just leant !!! And she will now seek revenge BIG TIME ...when I least expect it !!!!