F1 SPA

Paul Gibney - Lancashire AO

Until we see Ricciardo in a season long title battle I don't think we've seen the real man. Don't let the smile fool you, his nickname isn't the Honey Badger for nothing. Similarly Webber was possibly the most outspoken driver of the last decade.

Can't say the two Merc drives are covering themselves in glory at the moment are they. Shame really. All a bit unnecessary.  They are going to need some very clear and unambiguous team orders from here I think or we could well see DR win the title - and a worthy winner for sure if he did it. Mercedes are probably close enough to the manufacturers title win to not be too concerned at this point, so maybe they really aren't that worried and will take any form of advertising and comment that comes.

Probably the stupidest thing Lewis did this year was to say he was going to 'break Nico down mentally'. Bad move I think.

This link to a gif was posted up on BC: https://thejudge13.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/hamilton_rosberg-incident.gif

It appears to show that NR turned in on to LH's car after having bounced off his rear wheel. Whether it was a deliberate act you can decide for yourselves. You can watch his hands... ???

This link to a gif was posted up on BC: https://thejudge13.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/hamilton_rosberg-incident.gif

It appears to show that NR turned in on to LH's car after having bounced off his rear wheel. Whether it was a deliberate act you can decide for yourselves. You can watch his hands... ???

Very good gif, for me it's Nico at fault. Hamilton didn't move his hands but you can see Nico turn away and then back into him. Bang to rights !

The worst and most blatant bit of 'turning in' will always be the Schumacher/Hill 'accident' that cost Hill the title. Don't think that would wash these days.

Like Monaco, only one person really knows the truth, and he ain't talking!

• Like 1

I reckon the Schumacher/ Hill incident would pass without punishment again. The FIA are just as corrupt today as they always were during the Ferrari days

It does look as if he turned into him, but at those speeds could it not also just be a minor mistake, trying to get in behind hammy as quick as possible and simply misjudging it by a few inches?

I might be wrong, but I doubt he would deliberately damage his own car.

Either way is it not about time those Pirelli's were beefed up and a bit less puncture prone.

Either way is it not about time those Pirelli's were beefed up and a bit less puncture prone.

Too true !!

The worst and most blatant bit of 'turning in' will always be the Schumacher/Hill 'accident' that cost Hill the title. Don't think that would wash these days.

Like Monaco, only one person really knows the truth, and he ain't talking!

You think that's more blatant than Jerez in 1997 or either incident with Prost & Senna? On that note Schumacher was trying to do us a favour in hindsight. If he hadn't won a WDC Jacques Villeneuve probably wouldn't get any air time for his opinions.

Those were blatant too of course, I was just thinking in terms of doing it live on in-car camera....nowhere to hide.  The principle of a driver happily hitting another has long been established though, sad to say. Or a wall, whatever works....

The BTCC got too much like a destruction derby for my tastes a long time ago.

God yes the BTCC is awful. In the 90s some drivers were naughty (Clelland and Soper) but the generation that followed them (Neal & Plato) made it standard.

The problem is - where does LH go from here, (apart from Williams or McLaren/Honda for next year? - a seat at Williams would be good !!)

If he challenges NR and it goes pear shaped, he gets the blame for retaliation - if he steers clear (literally?) then he won't be trying and may as well throw in the towel.

Trouble with LH is that he doesn't think out the long game - he could of easily backed off and sat on NR's gearbox lap after lap after lap and either pressurised him into a mistake or overtaken him at a time and place of his own choosing - but no, he throws down the gauntlet to NR (of Germanic mentality even if not genetically) and hey presto - we have another Schumacher / Vettel (and I thought Nico was going to be different !).

if LH finds himself in another situation (which is absolutely inevitable) where he's about to fight NR "tooth and nail" in the first few laps, he needs to back off and work out a strategy rather than crashing out with the "Heroic Englishman" approach.

God yes the BTCC is awful. In the 90s some drivers were naughty (Clelland and Soper) ...

Clelland, now that's a name from the past.

I got taken round Knockhill at full chat by him on a track day (many years back). I couldn't not stop giggling and he took it as a challenge to shut me up.

I can still remember the debrief after the session when the organiser asked "who was in the car when John nearly stuffed it at the chicane?" I had to put my hand up. He had a bad back at the time as well...