Softbits for Sevens

andrewmais

Placed an order for a half hood (£250) 3 weeks ago after speaking with the lady there who said my order would take up to 3 weeks max to deliver.

Since then the order has moved from Pending to Processing but still has 2 stages left - Manufacturing and Dispatched.

Called main number last week and left a message as the guy on the phone didnt know anything about it - no one called me back.

Called again today, same story - guy answers tells me someone will call me back later.

Anyone else had any experience - good or bad with these guys?  3 weeks is a long time to have my money sat with them with no real progress - It only moved to Processing after 2 weeks !

I bought a tunnel bag from them last week and it was dispatched straight away. The quality is really good.

I have sent them two emails though about a boot bag and had no reply so I am not bothering now.

When I ordered the boot bag I spoke with a lady who confirmed it was in stock and was dispatched same day. 12 months earlier I tried to source a roof for a Tiger, left numerous messages and over a dozen emails all without a reply and bought elsewhere. Seems their service is either first class or non existent.

Ian

• Like 1

It might be product specific from the posts above - but a Tunnel/Boot bag wont stretch over my head instead of a half hood to keep me driving in the winter unfortunately !

Andrew - what roll bar do you have? Looks like just the standard hoop on your avatar??

Hi Andy, I bought a half hood from them in August last year, I had a similar experience in that the lady was excellent to speak to, incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, whereas the chaps were a bit clueless.  I placed my order with the lady, sent her an email with all the photos and dimensions as requested, and got a made to measure half hood back after about 3 weeks.  I would suggest making a couple more calls until you can speak to her and find out what's happening.  The plus side is that it's a great product, once you get it!

It's just a small business, Jill Judd and her son and they operate out of a space over a 4 space garage listening to Radio 4.  It's a cottage industry so it's misguided to expect big business standards.  Do you know what the demand for their products might be??  No, neither do they, except to go on past experience.  I know this because I called in on my way down to Cornwall last year and yes they are darn nice people too

Hi Geoff - I recently replaced the standard roll bar with the "caged" MSA one as per this pic. Will be selling the standard one shortly along with some other bits if anyone is interested? Full hood and fittings, yellow boot box, standard widebody roll bar.

DSC 9823v1

Martin van Zeller - calm down, plenty of cottage industries have perfectly good comms, its how they survive, by going the extra mile - look at Andy at AA Composites.

I have made no comments on their business or what their demand might be, I was purely asking for others experiences, to manage my own expectation.

Thanks Barny - yes the products are great, had them on my previous car, although they came with the car so had no ordering experiences - sorry to hear your experience was a little painful too. 

Soft Bits are the makers of some really good kit, and very nice people. They're probably better known for their many Caterham specific products.

Over on Blatchat, little will see tempers raised and members blood up like a discussion of SBFS.

Being dispassionate, the quality of the goods is without question, and all I've seen has been excellent. The service, as far as the product manufacture/support goes is equally excellent.

However, as far as lead times and communications go, it's pot luck. You may get straight through, they may have whay you want, you may get it next day, or they may be able to make it for you in one or two days. On the other hand, you may not get through for an eternity and wonder where your order is.

They do get ferociously busy at certain times of the year.

I tried to get a half hood from them once too. I didn't have any luck with that one. But I've had stuff previously with no issues.

Be aware, in some, more L7C GB circles, to complain about them is to either be anointed a public hero for stepping forward, or burnt at the stake as a heretic! :laugh::down:

Hi Geoff - I recently replaced the standard roll bar with the "caged" MSA one as per this pic. Will be selling the standard one shortly along with some other bits if anyone is interested? Full hood and fittings, yellow boot box, standard widebody roll bar.

Ah - that explains it. Didn't think a half hood would work with the standard bar.

No use to me I'm afraid - too wide!

Hope you get your half hood in good time. Doesn't sound like great service however lovely they might be.

Geoff

They do make a half hood for a standard low bar. It's low though, (well it would be!). I've got some pictures of one from the last Cheshire meet, showing us holding it on a members car, so he can get an idea of how it would fit.

Half a mo...

Only one I could find at work:

IMAGE_77.jpg

Just had an email from Nick at SBFS that delivery of my new half hood will be in 7 days, which is great as I may need some cover for the drive to Bedford on Sept 1st !

A week later than the estimated time but thats fine as long as I am kept informed.

Will keep you all posted and thanks for your feedback !

Great news. :yes: