DIY or let the professionals?

BudSlater

Thanks folks, some great points in here. I'd love to build it myself but there's something very tempting about only not having the car for a week and then it's ready. No waiting on bits to turn up from ebay and driving to collect bits and then taking them out and cutting them a bit and re-installing.

It's a 210hp Duratec that's going in, I've got an ST150 Duratec that I'll be building up to a 260hp spec with rods and pistons, so I might just do that swap and leave the hard graft to someone with more experience than me!

An update to my previous post, I took the engine out of my car on Saturday, managed it on my own with the kind loan of an engine crane from Marto. It took me about 3 and a half hours to get the engine out and it was hard work, but felt very proud of myself for ticking that box. A real achievement for me.

In comparison, the same job earlier this year at Mart's garage, with his professional guidance, equipment and experience, took under 90 mins (there was two of us). Everything was MUCH easier at Mart's because he had all the right tools, space and knowledge to make the job simple, and he was willing to help me learn along the way. I couldn't have done it if I hadn't have had that experience and support. I'd imagine he would have done it in about an hour without me in the way!

So, yes it is possible, the accomplishment is well worth it in my opinion and I would do it again, but knowing how much quicker and more confidently a seasoned pro can do it does make the professional option more appealing!

• Like 1

Even seasoned pros were first timers once !

The fact that you got it out,on your own without any ballsups makes me think that its more confidence than ability you lack

There are people with far less experience tackled swaps - they get as far as they can and then post questions to get them further on

It doesnt matter if it takes you longer than other people,different people work at different paces

I think you should pat yourself on the back mate

• Like 1

Yes, well done on engine removal - getting it out is usually quicker than putting it in (ooh err :rolleyes: ) but depending on your age, it's always handy to take a photo or two - otherwise you invariably end up with a bracket, two washers and a funny bolt left over and you can't for the life of you remember where they went ;) (Age=the older you get, the more experienced you get at these things, but the memory isn't so good).

What I always find is that you soon run out of space in the garage to put things or all the spanners / sockets you used have a life of their own. If you take your time and only work on it when you want to, it's really rather enjoyable.

• Like 2

Yes, well done on engine removal - getting it out is usually quicker than putting it in (ooh err :rolleyes: ) but depending on your age, it's always handy to take a photo or two - otherwise you invariably end up with a bracket, two washers and a funny bolt left over and you can't for the life of you remember where they went ;) (Age=the older you get, the more experienced you get at these things, but the memory isn't so good).

What I always find is that you soon run out of space in the garage to put things or all the spanners / sockets you used have a life of their own. If you take your time and only work on it when you want to, it's really rather enjoyable.

Absolutely!

Digital cameras and especially phone cameras have been an absolute boon for this sort of thing. It's not just a case of what bolt or nut went where either, they're great for seeing how things lined up, cable routes, plumbing layout's etc.

It's much less daunting than you think , if you've never done it before.

On a car that's been used for a few years or so, it's often worth starting going round a few days or even the week before you plan to start the job properly and to begin giving all the relevant nuts and bolts a good soak in Plus Gas or some other penetrant/release oil. Then it's got a good shot at soaking in.

Cheers Steve and Tisme, very kind words :)

To the OP, BudSlater, as a fellow owner who is embarking on a similar path as you (crossflow to XE), I can say that it is a daunting task, and one that seems to get more daunting as it progresses, but a quick check up from pals and the support that is intrinsic on this forum will keep you going, alongside the personal motivation, if you do decide to have a go yourself. If you go the professional route, no judgement from anyone, just the jealously of a quickly completed project :d

Whatever you do, keep us posted and have fun!

My 2 pence worth..............

If it were me and I had a Pinto, then i'd buy myself a Cosworth lump.

Instant power gains, same fitment as a Pinto (no bodywork alterations).

Sure they cost more than a Zetec, but you'll be spending less on getting it to fit and getting 240bhp for your money.

And of course it is far, far cooler to be able to say...'yeah it's got a cosworth in there'

Zetec and duratec just don't have the same ring.

where in chester are you? im only in coedpoeth so if ever needed a hand yourself then I could help with mechanical side too fit ive got a ramp too could use and suggest speaking to ade @a.b garage in hawarden to do the electrical/mapping/fueling side and save yourself a few quid.

if don't mind asking what do you actually get for your £1400? surely the duratec will bolt straight up onto the gearbox, fit some fuel lines, return in the tank when go FI. seems quite a lot of money imo.