Suggestions for a new car

BudSlater

Folks, I'm currently driving a 2002 Boxster S. 3.2 litres of awesomeness and when it's sunny, it's amazing........ I dont really want to get rid of it but there are a few things that are becoming a problem

1. Its not great on fuel (< 25mpg)

2. It's getting on a bit (12 years old) and things are starting to break like engine mounts / wishbones etc

3. Its only got 2 seats and I have an other half and a 9 year old son so it's not the best

4. I can't stick a towbar on it and tow the westie to the track

5. I regularly need to collect seats / engines / gearboxes / dashboards for the westie and I can't fit them in the micro-boots of the Boxster

Each of these isnt a big deal but combined, I think it's time to go, but I have no idea what to replace it with...

I'd like something prestige that I'm not embarrassed about. Going from a Boxster to a Kia is just not going to happen. I do about 15k miles per year so diesel probably... Gotta have a good chunk of oompf to keep me amused on the country lane commute and also to pull a westie... Budget around 7-10k. Was looking at BMW 535d estates as they tick a lot of boxes, but they are quite high mileages in that price bracket and I had a bad experience with a BMW, where the main dealer customer service put me off BMWs completely... And it needs to be desirable... Must be a manual as auto boxes cost a fricking fortune when they die :(

Recognise I'm a demanding customer, but any suggestions for what to replace the boxster with that won't feel like too much of a down grade?

Oh boy, another thread where someone asks for advice on a car and buys something totally different after 3 pages of replies! :d;)

Let's see... changing a Boxster for a quick sensible diesel car that will comfortably hold 3 people.  I'll bet you buy either an old Jag mourner's limo retired from a funeral director with 9 seats, or a 911 with a back seat only suitable for double leg amputees.

Just getting the popcorn out... :popcorn:  :laugh:

• Like 3

Well that only does 25mpg as well.   Anything with a bit of oomph is going to be heavy on fossil fuels.   The A4 estate with a 2.0 diesel lump has a reasonable bit of oomph and does more mpg.   S line spec with extra goodies are plentiful.

Well that only does 25mpg as well.   Anything with a bit of oomph is going to be heavy on fossil fuels.   The A4 estate with a 2.0 diesel lump has a reasonable bit of oomph and does more mpg.   S line spec with extra goodies are plentiful.

Great point, something like this is very much a possibility! http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406235233704/sort/pricedesc/page/2/usedcars/model/a4/keywords/s%20line/price-to/10000/engine-size-cars/2l_to_2-5l/advert-type/Classified/make/audi/postcode/ch36dt/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/radius/1500/body-type/estate?logcode=p

Here you go, loaded and even has a privacy screen so you can drive with the wife and kiddie in the back and not hear a thing.  Less that 30,000 miles (all slow) and just over £12k.  Desirable?  It's the only car be people will always be caught alive in!

Click :t-up:

I do warn you that S Line suspension is quite firm, absorbs the bumps well but is firm.  Most of them have 18" wheels which adds to the firmness and are succeptable to rim and tyre damage  on kerbs and potholes.

I swear the dampers on my last sport pack A4 were filled with granite, not gas or oil.

Repeating myself here from another thread - but if you are considering an A4, how about a SEAT EXEO 170 Sport tech - all the toys, at a bargain price.

Worth a look - you will get one approx. 2 - 3 years newer than the equivalent A4.

Dave.

Brilliant suggestions, I'd not considered these. Keep me coming please, part from the daft limo one Hahahaha

Holy smokes the seats are dirt cheap. Lacking in the he kudos but you canforgive that when you have a cheap new car and a more powerful westie!

Oh boy, another thread where someone asks for advice on a car and buys something totally different after 3 pages of replies! :d;)

WBT #2: :laugh:

:popcorn:

Scott I'm there with that ... Wanna be my chauffeur ?

How about a 635d? I was thinking of one if those to replace my 3.0l z4?

Octavia VRS

All the way for me....

I would have suggested the Seat Exeo, Skoda Superb or Octavia estates but don't think Bud could handle an upmarket brand. :)