What should be in every Westie owners boot...

John K

After having to do my first roadside repair, I realised I should carry some odds and sods in the boot.

It was a little embarrassing to go to a local hotel and blag a metal coat hanger with the opening line...

"I've got a classic British kit car and a bit has just fell off, do you have a coat hanger I can buy off you..."

So what should be in every Westie owners boot? (and it needs to live there all the time so that excludes anything too valuable or a trolley jack)

I'll start with...

Wire cutters

Adjustable spanner

Screw driver kit

Cable ties

Medium gauge galvanised wire

Circlips

Chocolate blocks

Go straight to JAIL, do not pass GO.

Your error?

You left off Gaffer Tape!

;):p :p :p

:d

Gaffer tape and tie wraps will repair most things :d

You left off Gaffer Tape!

Gaffer Tape, GAFFER TAPE..?

That Sir marks you as an artful bodger... :p

My bent coat hanger was a masterful piece of ENGINEERING

Actually, the only reason we didn't use string was it would have burnt through :d  :yes:

:d 

Composite, flexible self bonding repair system.

On a roll.

Tie wraps, gaffer tape, a Leatherman and a hammer.

if that doesn't fix it, plan B is required.

Take out mobile phone and call AA man.

On a more serious note, Halfords do a great little Motorists tool kit in a zip up wallet that's got a good selection of basic road side repair tools. But is small and easily tucked away in the boot box. I use one of those, to which I've added a handful of the appropriate Allen keys.

Then in an old ice cream tub, gaffer tape, insulating tape, self-amalgamating tape, tie wraps, spare fuses, some spare wire, a selection of spare hose clips and a small bag of what look like assorted nuts/bolts and washers, but was actually a carefully chose selection of the most common sizes in quantities most likely to be needed! Oh and some workshop paper towels! I keep meaning to add a spare throttle cable too.

WD40 for what needs to move.

Gaffer tape for what needs to stay in place.

Travel tool set.

Tyre sealant.

Breakdown cover.

Charged phone.

Bottle of water to drink.

A £10 note for those emergency stops for fuel when you go out without your wallet and the gauge just seems to drop to empty at the most inopportune moment.

The guy that built the car !

• Like 1

Dave's pretty much nailed it but one I would definitely add is spare fuses and removal tool!

Had a fuse blow which stopped the fuel pump. A 10 second fix ended up taking over an hour waiting for the AA to arrive, not to mention having to push the car for about half a mile to avoid creating some serious congestion! :d

Gordons and tonic, some ice and a lemon, a blanket and female company and gaffer tape and cable ties, oil and coolant for when overheated  :d

female company and gaffer tape

:oops: :oops: :d :D

Spare throttle cable kit, terminals, bulbs, mini socket/bit set, pliers. Rest has been mentioned.

... female company ...

The original post said "in the boot" is there a foot pump involved? ???