What is the tub / transmission tunnel made from?

John K

I want to attach a pad / sat nav holder in front of the gear stick.

Is it OK just to whack some short self tappers in there?

Cheers

are you talking about the top of the tunnel behind the gear stick under the dash?

if so, it will almost certainly be an ali sheet riveted to the chassis. yes self tappers would work. although unlikely, i would want to have a nose around to make sure there are no wires you might hit by accident

Yup exactly that area...

The windscreen is so small already I don't want to lose any more to my 5" Garmin :d

And considering the violent shaking the mount will get, I want the bottom edge of the ShatNav to be sitting on the carpet to carry some of the weight.

Good shout on the wires as it is the logical place to run them on the underside.

Cheers

Check very carefully. That's a very busy point in many builds. If, (and it's a big if), the main loom runs along the right hand upper chassis rail through this area. It branches off to come up through the tunnel cover to feed the dash, heater, wipers etc. You may also have an engine sub loom coming in along the left hand upper chassis rail and connecting across to the main loom somewhere under the scuttle. It's not uncommon to see any "excess" loom bunched up and "lost" in this area.

Additionally, you have those that like to run fuel and brake lines in the tunnel that sometimes run them along side the upper left chassis rail.

Make sure you either have eyes on the back of the panel you intend to drill through, or you get a hand down the tunnel, James Herriot style! and physically feel that the back of the panel is clear.

That said, it's the perfect spot for it other wise. Just watch if using self tappers, that nothing can move round in the tunnel and chaff on them.

If you are obstructed by wires etc. Consider making a mounting plate to fit on top of the tunnel, that is wide enough to be secured directly into the left and right upper chassis rails.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the responses.

I was only looking at self tappers as a short term dirty option to get the Nav mounted for a possible run to Hereford on Saturday.

I'm a bolts and spring washers type of guy and the point (ahem) about sharp points being a potential chaff point is well taken.

I'm now looking at suspending something under the dash so the mount hangs down whilst the base of the SatNav rests on the carpet of the tunnel.

But all my great plans very rarely get finished so expect me to ruck up with it gaffer taped to my thigh...

To give you an idea of how bad I am, the accessory socket is attached direct to the battery with some big croc clips.

And they let me design Oil Refineries :rolleyes: ... 

:laugh:

My quick rough 'n ready Tom Tom attachment was a big square of industrial Velcro (the hook side) stuck to the back of the sat nav. This then just stuck to the carpet, wherever you put it down! Worked so well, I never did change it...

• Like 1

I've got a Garmin 5" (recently got rid of my TomTom Go 500 and will never go back to them!) - great bit of kit. I love being able to say "Sat Nav", "take me home!" , or "Sat Nav", "Call Emma", etc. bl**** great!

Back on topic - the rare times I use it in my Westie I put the sucker right at the bottom centre of the windscreen and turn the sat nav into portrait mode. It's not too instrusive and half of it is supported by the scuttle-dash bit. The sat nav protrused down over the dash a bit, if you see what I mean. Hasn't fallen off yet.

Oooh... I like that idea.

I do think the mount needs some help with the 5" screens. I suspect it was designed for the smaller more plastic Garmins.

When the metal / 5" came along they are a bit too heavy.

So your idea might just work (expect the mirror is there at the mo :) ) expect a report back later today..!

As for TomToms, I did like the connected aspect and the google search, but I could not deal with how every OS update busted the device.

So TomTom met wall (very hard), wallet met Halfords, Garmin met the Ford Mundane