My first race car!

Onliest Smeg David

Visited my Dad at the weekend and he got out the old photographs  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

Apparently I was a bit of a speed merchant when I was knee high to a grasshopper....

20140718_203952-1.jpg

Dad said I used to pedal flat out down the driveway

bump up onto the path at the side of the house without slowing (axles had to be welded back up due to this abuse)

continue flat out to the corner

lock the rear wheels by jamming my feet on the pedals (the kart being rear wheel drive)

broad side it around the bend controlling the back end

before straightening up along the front of the house.

I had a helmet that I wore sometimes and according to Dad at one time I misjudged a corner and had a bit of a bump. He says I was in a right state, screeching that I had gone blind. But Mum took my helmet off and I could see again so calmed down.  :d  :cry:  :laugh:

I can remember liking the speed and almost being welded to the go-kart, but not the details he described.

I can well remember Mum constantly telling me to slow down (A bit like tigger Wendz does now  :p )

I wish I had car control like that now  :down:

SO WHAT STARTED THE SPEED DEMONS IN YOURSELVES AS YOUNG BOYS/GIRLS?

Lovely :-)

me aged 7 with my grandad

• Like 1

A Chipmunk!! Fond memories of the Air Training Corps. :yes:

Wish I could remember it

Was at wood vale in 1977

My   first         trackday was at Silverstone trackday-----------------------------------------------in the pram, I was only a few months old.

" second           "            "     "       "               "         -----------------------------------------------on a tricycle.  3 or 4 years old.

"   third              "            "     "       "               "         -----------------------------------------------on a bicycle.   7 or 8 years old.

"   fourth            "            "     "       "               "         -----------------------------------------------driving a tractor  about 10 years old.

"    fifth                "            "     "       "               "         -----------------------------------------------driving dads Cortina Mk1 about 11years old.

Actually I've been round Silverstone many times in all the above, My dad used to be farmer there.

969 squadron West Lancs Wing here , flew in chipmunks , provosts , and them string and elastic band gliders the ATC used at Altcar . Got to play with 303 rifles with live rounds graet fun for a 16 yr  old

we made our own go carts ( though  we called 'em tut tuts ! in the days , cos that's what we said every time a wheel fell off as it nearly always did )

made out of an old plank using 6inch nails bent around the axles to hold them on and 4 old pram wheels .

The "go kart " wasn't invented when i was a lad and even if it had been we couldn't have afforded to buy a ready made one .

Makes me laugh every time i here the youths of today saying how bored they are ,with "nothing for them to do" , they don't seem to have much imagination and seem to think "if it doesn't come in a box , cost loads of money, or if I have to build it myself , then it cant be any good "   :t-up:

Friends and I made our own carts as well, as you say, pram wheels were sought after in our area.   My ma & pa's front garden was the Pits as it was at the top of the hill.  Makes me shudder now to think of the speeds we got up to with no brakes or helmets, luckily crashes only resulted with cuts and bruises, mum had a healthy supply of Germolene. :)

karting-vi.jpg

Think this was 1986 having had it for Christmas. Probably my best ever present.

It looks like you were catching some air on the right front, nice!

My brother and I used to go around the neighborhood begging for old wheels off of wagons and lawnmowers to build our carts. 

I built a soap box cart, then my dad fitted a lawn mower engine to it, I was the envy of many local kids, brakes were proper pants though, guess that was part of the thrill.

Built a soap box cart with my dad. He painted it like a bulls face on the back we used reflectors for its eyes and and my dad painted snorting nose on the back. It had "the beast" painted on the sides. The horns were effectively push handles. Was a fantastic project. Went down so many hills on that no brakes and steered using rope and feet on the front plank.

I went on to build my own bike from lightweight parts I could pick it up with two fingers under the frame. It got stolen in the end.

So building vehicles really started young and in my blood I think.

• 3 weeks later...

... Makes me shudder now to think of the speeds we got up to with no brakes or ...

Indeed...

Heals of shoes on ground we're brakes back then