Bridge Camera

Barry Ashcroft

I'm after a better camera for air shows so I'm looking at bridge I can't be bothered with full of dslr been there didn't like it.

Looking at this one or any recommendations from the wscc massive.

Ta

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz72-bridge-camera-hd-1080p-16-1mp-60x-optical-zoom-3-lcd-screen-black/p639783?kpid=639783&s_kenid=3edad4ee-dc09-7b88-4ac3-0000503e731a&s_kwcid=7x2368604&tmad=c&tmcampid=52#tabinfo-spcl-offr

Panasonic Lumix came top in which camera as a brand.

I know many with them including me who are very happy with their cameras.

I'm not familiar with that model or the competition but I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed with it.

think you might struggle with a very light camera whilst panning at full or near full zoom with shake

I remember using my Dads bridge camera with similar-ish power zoom when I went to wembly to watch race of champions - results were ok-ish but not superb

Although that was at least five years ago and things may have improved

You could get a secondhand dslr and a 70-300 lens for similar money but I guess you have tried and did not like

What is it that puts you off a DSLR but makes a Bridge OK?

Any Lumix will do well, very well, but a Bridge is a whole lot of compromises normally worth it because you get something small.

But what you are looking at is almost the same size as a DSLR.

Not trying to change your mind as you said definitely no more SLRs, but knowing why you are off them might help you potentially wasting money on a big Bridge which might make you as grumpy as an SLR

If it's a size thing, the new sony SLTs (with semi silvered mirror) are smaller than most DSLRs and have the advantage of epic frames per second as they have no moving mirror. Which would do well at airshows.

And if it's lens swapping, dust getting in etc, then just get a 55-200(300) lens and never change it.

Agreed on the DSLR. I'd go for a Canon 100D, no bigger than a bridge and far more advantages

Agreed on the DSLR. I'd go for a Canon 100D, no bigger than a bridge and far more advantages

And if anyone knows......Aidan's the man !

If a DSLR was an artists canvas, then a bridge camera is like a sketch pad.

It takes patience and a good amount of technical learning to use a DSLR effectively, I have done that learning, but I can certainly see why other people wouldn't want the hassle. I'd say the worst thing is remembering to set up for each shot, very hard to do when the missus is looking on, thinking "i've taken 5 photo's in the time he's taken 1!!!!" and even then you can never guarantee you'll get the image you want, but when you do it was all worth it :)

1385561b.jpg

• Like 1

Let us know what you decide upon and how you get on

It all depends on what you intend to do...

I have a Panasonic lumix bridge for normal photo taking, say paddock shots that you have time to take, but use a nikon DSLR for actual sports photo taking with a 55 - 300 zoom, with the ability to take 5 shots in a burst to capture the action.... A bridge just won't do that effectively.

But for the price it looks a good buy.

I went to my local camera shop Cambrian Photography in Colwyn Bay

Told them what I wanted

Told them I didn't want to spend a fortune as I wanted to use and abuse it drag it around, leave it on car seat at sprints

And wanted second hand

They sold me a Canon Power Shot SX1IS with some image stabilizer for about £150 with a warranty it's about 4 years old and cost about £400 new

It's been a long time since I've played with an SLR then on 35mm but this is so easy on auto with lots of options if I feel like messing with the setup

Just another view point for you to consider

Taken Monday at RWS not what I got the camera for but I'm happy

104_zps3f3dc486.jpg

We know how good Nikon are but Panasonic seem to top the reviews of bridge cameras year in year out, and also top reliability studies.   I have the FZ100 Panasonic and am delighted with it, the FZ200 is out now. 

Others are available with monstrous zooms but I wonder how much use anything past 24X really is?

I understand your point re: SLR's , for some people it is their hobby and they get into it technically and gather lenses, flashes, know how, techniques, etc.  end up packing kit to go on an expedition, the main point being photography.  For the rest of us we do 'other stuff', and want the easiest way to take something compact around with us and capture the 'other stuff' that we do, in reasonable quality.

Jim

The first thing to ask is what is it you want to do with the camera ,my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ30 is a super alround camera , Ive had SLR's in the old film days but without paying a fortune for decent lenses the results are no better than a half decent bridge.

have to say its the chap behind the lens who makes the picture , not the camera as most people mistakenly believe , though its a big help if you have the right tools . 

Better lens on the equivalent Lumix , Lieca  f2.8 will capture more light for taking pictures in low light . twice the aperture size !

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras/digital-cameras/bridge-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200-bridge-camera-18244040-pdt.html