Blyton, thanks for a first class weekend

Tricky

I had the pleasure of handing out awards on Saturday evening - wisely, Nick did the talking, I just handed them over like some ugly demented game show hostess and offered my congrats to the winners.

But I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed doing so.  It's interesting to see the emotions that cross the faces of those who get an award.  Some of them came up to collect with a rather shy, don't make a fuss, almost embarrassed air.  Some came up with the air of a practised but modest pro.  But the ones that really made an impression on me were the ones who had a schoolboy thrill about them, not arrogant, just overjoyed and enjoying the moment - and to see their fellow competitors genuinely pleased for them as well.  That's what this is all about.  It was a real privilege to pass out the awards to them all - one of the better parts of the job.

Congrats from the chair to everyone on the organising team, to everyone who volunteered and gave of their time, to the marshals, to the people at Blyton, and to the competitors for a fine, fine weekend.  It will be hard to top that one but I know they will all try! :t-up:

• Like 2