Strapping a westy on a trailer?

TrophyJem

I'm with Mark and Cleggy, one strap per wheel and all nicely battened down. No chance or less chance of sliding fore and aft or sideways. It is after all your pride and joy so needs a bit of proper treatment.

I have 4 straps and have now modified the fronts to go straight over the wheel with some U bolts through the deck and without needing the cross pieces the rears I still have to use the cross straps as the trailer hook holes aren't in the right place.

Bob :d

Add me to that list. Wheel straps on each wheel.

Belt and braces approach. You'd be suprised how much a car will move, even when tighted down on all four corners, under heavy or emergency breaking.

I still favour the "belt and braces" method :)DSC01452.jpg

Strap mine like this but have to be a bit carful on the n/s rear, the strap fouls the exhaust when im trying to get the hook hole in the trailer in front on that wheel, so I do leave this one off for short journeys

I've hired a trailer to take my westy to be mapped tomorrow.

How did you get on with the mapping?

Sounds good.

I have always just used a plain strap, from a hook on one side, round the rear wheels, and back to a hook on the otherside, same at the front.

- Wood floor so it doesn't move much anyway, rear straps are a bit longer, and I have fixed arches, so I also have  a piece  of 3*2 eather side of the wheel to keep it off the trailer side.

Your trying to prevent two things in my mind.

- The car moving around, coming loose, falling off during normal roading.

- The car coming through the tow car in the event of a large crash!

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

This guy really needs to read this thread...

Spotted whilst driving to Tripoli Airport on a work visit to Libya (before the recent, ahem, 'troubles')

Eek, that's a little too free-range!

This guy needs to read up on max speeds for caravans... I overtook it in France a couple of weeks ago. Bits flapping everywhere :-)  (fridge looks salvagable)

IMG_1102_zps4ea20066.jpg

• Like 1

This guy really needs to read this thread...

Seen a lot of that in India as well.

And a Zuc Carry level filled with loose meat, up to the roof!

Daniel