Newbie West Midlands

BenD

so the second stage of my build after ordering my kit i found myself a tidy mx-5 on ebay it was only 2 miles from my house picked it up this morning. seems a shame to break it lol it drove really well and has full service history from when it was imported. only had a few advisorys on its last mot and nothing to do with the actually running gear of the car just bodywork paid 390 for it its only a 1.6 but i was quite suprised at how quick it actually is. so on with the stripping

Don't worry in the slightest about it being a 1.6. The 1.8 had bigger brakes and a beefier diff and along with the extra weight of the engine the different will be slight. The 1.6 is a quicker revving engine too.

i was suprised by the 1.6 tbh mate it revs so freely having never driven one before. i just gotta get rid of on eof my other cars and then i can crack on with stripping it

do people use an mx5 haynes manual or something similar to help take then bots off as i dont want to break anything when stripping the car

Rod Grainger manual takes some beating. It will serve you well when the Westfield is built as well.

Normally you can find one on Amazon for a fair price

Congrats on the kit and welcome here. The Mazda engines are both great and easy to work on.

+ 1 on the Rod Grainger manual, got mine on ebay for a fiver, so worth a look there too.

I recommend labelling every wire you remove, however obvious it seems now, when you have a complete loom on the floor you'll be thankful you did.

Also I found that lots of stackable storage crates for different items from the mx5 strip. I removed a days worth of bits, cleaned the inevitable rust (Built-Hamber Deox-C is amazing stuff) then painted the bits and stored them in the crates. It made the later build go smoothly.

http://www.bilthamber.com/deox-c

Enjoy the build. Ben.

cool ill keep my eyes open for the rod grainger manual then is that the orange faced one. ill get some of that deox-c and some storage crates bercause no doubt ill have bits everywhere

Storing bits becomes one of the big challenges.  :oops:  :d 

Welcome to the club Ben, I'm not sure how I've missed this thread before but from a past Mazda builder just to say enjoy the experience :t-up:

thanks mate i will just carnt wait to get my kit but first i gotta strip my donor ordered a rod granger manual and a few other bits to get me started

Have a look at Darve build thread for the MX5 build, was completed last year so quite recent and highlights the usual build anomalies

• 2 weeks later...

i havent really done much on my mazda yet im just waiting for my renault 5 gt turbo to be collected. but i have recieved my log book for my mazda on the bottom of the page it says special notes these cannot be removed and one of the notes is

non- transferable registration mark  is this something to worry about. my mx5 is 1.6 eunos roadster import

thanks in advance

i have recieved my log book for my mazda on the bottom of the page it says special notes these cannot be removed and one of the notes is non- transferable registration mark  is this something to worry about. my mx5 is 1.6 eunos roadster import

thanks in advance

it's nothing to worry about, it basically means that you can't transfer that number off the Eunos and onto another car.

When you register the Westfield the old number will be lost and the DVLA will issue you with a new registration based on the age of the donor.