Making a cheap track tool part1

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

Making a cheap track tool

The aim was to make a professional looking video and see what technology we could use on the cheap, a bit like below.

racerender2.png

But actually it had some more interesting benefits that I hadn't planned.   I could see the graph showing  where I was braking etc., and gave me good comparisons

So here’s a list of what we used:-

• Android phone – Samsung s3 (any phone with GPS installed would be good)
  • Racechrono - for the phone Software from the android store
  • Racerender 3 to overlay the data and the video footage from the gopro
  • Go Pro Hero 2

Whilst in the paddock a few others tried some of the software and whey hey, cheap track information.

So what’s the draw back over a datalogger?

Everything was received from the phone such as speed, height, direction etc. 

The device did not record any information from the car eg:  throttle position, whether breaking was due to pressing the pedal or engine breaking.

The accuracy on the GPS is OK but mobile phones only take GPS feeds every second. You can get 5hz and 10hz receivers to talk to the phone but like I said we were trying to do this on the cheap.

So what information did the phone/Racechrono capture?

I was very impressed as it was able to show maximum speeds and braking points (remember is only takes every second so can be a little out)

With this I was able to compare my lap data to other peoples, that had installed the software and see the differences between mine and their runs.

Screenshot_2014-04-27-19-28-54-e13986253

and I'm sure on track days the software would be enhanced and it looks like it can compare laps.

Screenshot_2014-04-27-19-32-03-e13986253

Stage 2 adding the video

To be continued...

Looked very good when Lee showed me.

Well the best thing about it for me is you just start it recording in as you start to queue up and forget about it and it all works. The 1Hz (once per second GPS Position) really does restrict the data accuracy but for free its a great tool.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Lee and John how are you progressing with this?

Since our chat at Aintree I've been playing a bit with the idea

http://youtu.be/Luo0yIdRPWY

The camera now has a better mount

I have a remote mike to try next

I need to locate the phone at a different angle to get G sensor working right

But I'm getting some results :)

Well the best thing about it for me is you just start it recording in as you start to queue up and forget about it and it all works. The 1Hz (once per second GPS Position) really does restrict the data accuracy but for free its a great tool.

I've also found the frequency of gps fixes gives too much error in the tracking.

Yep speedo up and down maybe a slower type car and you wouldn't notice it

Something like this will boost it to 10hz, which I found to be pretty good: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qstarz-BT-Q818XT-10Hz-66-Ch-Fast-Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver-/260784523470?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item3cb7f808ce

Does bump the overall cost a little though, and won't work with iPhones...

However, mine is currently sitting unloved on my desk, so if anyone wants to borrow it, just shout up :t-up: