Been a busy weekend

pauladiver

Finally got round (prompted by a big stone chip!) to fitting a later type windscreen and pillars (ebay find) - lots of measuring, more measuring and re-measuring then drilling 4 new mounting holes (the later type pillars sit a little higher up on the scuttle. Followed by a little black silicon. Very pleased with the new look and loving the novelty of wing mirrors too!

Before....

003_zpsf7c5b616.jpg

After...

EASTER2014072_zps2686ff85.jpg

EASTER2014073_zps3ec0dc48.jpg

In the end glad I just cracked on with it! Was a little daunted at the prospect - ended up drilling out all 4 old pillar bolts - total seized up, but fortunately the builder had not used huge amounts sealant on the screen and fillet,

Also had time to fit another ebay purchase....couldn't resist this retro look rocker cover for the 1700 Crossflow.  :)

EASTER2014075_zps5a3d3ccd.jpg

good work :-) nice mighty cross flow you have there  :yes:

Thanks - yes, I'm loving the old Crossflow - plenty of power for me and makes a wonderful sound - the odd exhaust flame too  :angry: !

Great work Paul, I see upgraditis is setting in! I bought the stainless version of that exhaust, it is good value but required quite a bit of modification to fit. It goes on the crossflow as a straight swap, but if I hadn't have been at Martins' garage (with him doing most of the hard work) it would have been an all-dayer to fit. But as you say, it is half the price!

Nice to see someone else on the slippery slope of Upgraditis :laugh:

I've recently fitted one to mine and so far very happy with it; caused some head scratching with regards to mounting but Julian at Aerodynamix very kindly gave me some brackets which he had spare, one of which was perfect and a quick search on the Bay for a suitable exhaust bobbin and jobs a gooden :t-up:

14007463383_181b6b7c55_c.jpg

13964356986_3a85458d99_c.jpg

13984294641_9583f884b4_c.jpg

Thanks fellas - think I can feel another purchase coming on.....

Nice work Hellski - looks very neat. I assume it's the bracket at the rear end that needs a bit of work. I see you even had the micrometer out! Precision stuff  :)

Yes but this is only due to the increase in size of can and position of hanging bracket attached to the exhaust.  Initially I was a little concerned how much lower the bracket sits but once back on the ground my fears were abated and in fact because it hangs slightly lower than the exhaust and with the larger diameter of the can, hides it all very well.

Hopefully the picture below will show this a bit clearer as well as the type of bobbin I've used :)

13969556116_a957cfd1a2_c.jpg

One suggestion is to make and fit a right angle bracket so the bobbin is sat on by the weight of the silencer.

The bobbins tend to shear when pulled down or sideways (as yours is)

Thanks Norman, I was conscious of this after searching on the forum prior to fitting mine but to be honest couldn't see a logical way of achieving this?

The bobbin selected was chosen due to it's apparent stronger properties compared to mini/maxi ones that tend to be used, so time will tell.

I will most definitely be checking out other installations at Stoneleigh :)

Looks like the bobbin is a Renault item. A flat bar, bent at 90 Deg and drilled with two holes. Orientate like a backward "L" so the bobbin sits in the angle. Should be able to get the same height.