Visibilty of Westy's on the Road

Yanto

I read this to SHMBO and the reply was "most of you is hanging out the car anyway so they won't miss you AND the car"…..  I may have a picture that proves this….. :) Time for a SEiWWWW perhaps ???

I read this to SHMBO and the reply was "most of you is hanging out the car anyway so they won't miss you AND the car"…..  I may have a picture that proves this….. :) Time for a SEiWWWW perhaps ???

Tell her I have seen much bigger than you in a Westfield, hard to believe I know, but true!

I still don't know why dyslexia is so hard to spell. Doesn't make sense.......:)

Stu, the problem is to do with the brain not recognising the shape the eye sees as a car. To some brains a car is a normal tintop, anything else isn't seen at all when the brain is expecting an image of what it has been taught is a car.

It's related to the phenomenon of reading a page of a book whilst thinking of something else. Every word is read but not by the brain, only by the eye.

However, nature has a set of warning colours to warn us of danger. These are yellow and black. Some animals take on these colours when they are not poisonous or venomous. Others have these colours and will harm or kill you if you eat them.

Humans are still conditioned to be aware of these colours and we do take notice of them.

It matters not if you have headlights on or wearing bright colours or the car is painted in bright colours. It's the danger signal of yellow and black that makes us notice. It is thought we (some of us) still do not see a car but our attention is drawn to the danger.

I agree to a point Norm (however those painted in natures 'danger colours' still seem to have problems, guest springs to mind!!!), but I think the human brain is not only 'set' to look for cars, but we also program ourselves to assume the car we are looking for is travelling at a certain speed (and why shouldn't it be?). So when a Westfield navigates through a roundabout, safely for the car type, but perhaps more briskly than your average road user, it is going to be a surprise to some...

Yes Stephen's highly black and yellow car is either the exception that proves the rule, or blows it out of the water!

FWIW, having driven a black and yellow car all year round for nigh on ten years, turning it into a nearly all black car by removing the bright yellow nose cone, (which some one backed into in a car park, because they didn't see it), and swapping it for a black nose cone made no observable difference.

I do think there is an element of people simply not registering the different profile of the Seven type car. I always check for eye contact/recognition from those about to pull out ahead of me. Seen plenty of people in that situation look "straight through me". 

But then hen I've had people "not see me" while I've been driving anything from a chunky great Volvo XC90 right up to Luton bodied Transits. So I generally think it's says more about others lack of concentration than what I'm in.

However, I have noticed more and more of late, that an increasingly large number of people do seem to struggle completely when it comes to judging either their own speed, or that of others, as it affects stopping distances, pulling out in front of you, and similar manoeuvres.

I suspect for many, even those that are good at judging gaps etc. the potential, braking, acceleration and ability to carry speed through a bend of our sorts of vehicle just throws them completely.

Re test every 10 years ......

Should do it ..

That would help in so many areas. But not the one crucial one that affects us; the shear lack of comprehension many have of the vehicles (safe) performance, within perfectly legal limits.

Roundabouts are a classic example. (And I'm not talking about tail out heroics). I know how much speed I can carry on to and round a typical sized roundabout. But I also know that if there's anyone on or approaching the roundabout at the same time, the chances are, they will have no idea the speed I can carry through. And even if they register, "sports car", "hmmm, it's quite quick", it's still too far from their frame of reference for them to judge. It then becomes a lottery whether they decide to wait, or try and make the gap.

So in reality, unless I can be sure it's completely clear, I'll make sure that I'm braking, accelerating and cornering at rates they will stand a chance of being able to grasp and to process.

That would help in so many areas. But not the one crucial one that affects us; the shear lack of comprehension many have of the vehicles (safe) performance, within perfectly legal limits.

Roundabouts are a classic example. (And I'm not talking about tail out heroics). I know how much speed I can carry on to and round a typical sized roundabout. But I also know that if there's anyone on or approaching the roundabout at the same time, the chances are, they will have no idea the speed I can carry through. And even if they register, "sports car", "hmmm, it's quite quick", it's still too far from their frame of reference for them to judge. It then becomes a lottery whether they decide to wait, or try and make the gap.

So in reality, unless I can be sure it's completely clear, I'll make sure that I'm braking, accelerating and cornering at rates they will stand a chance of being able to grasp and to process.

Spot on Sir... :)

A note on being defensive.......My limited experience (only had my Westie a month) has taught me that at traffic lights with crossroads with the car in front of me turning right the oncoming people tend to look through the windows of the car in front, and when they don't see you (because we're way down low) they just assume they can cut across....... makes for some brake humping fun.....

So...... I politely give a blast on the air horns..... and in 3 outings I reckon I've saved some brake and tyre wear.....

Nem......

• Like 1

TBH,mi do similar in the tin top too, if I think I can't easily be seen - it's one of those things my driving instructor drilled into me many years ago, that just became second nature. I do it approaching blind bends on some of the 1 1/2 lane wide back roads we have round here too. It's why I've always had air horns, or an equivalent LOUD horn on the Westfields.

I’m not convinced the combination of yellow and black is more of a warning (in nature) than other combinations, animals that should be avoided come in all sorts of colours.

R

I find you feel so vulnerable in a car that has all the crash protection of a crisp bag, I drive defensively and anticipate the worst. Overtaking trucks when your head is down by the wheels, you want to overtake clean and fast, not hang about in a blind spot or put yourself in danger. 

The daily BMW on the other hand is 10 years old, has 220k on the clock and if someone's in the wrong I'm not afraid of a ding if it's going to be their insurance that pays for some new panels so I hold my line if people try and cut in or pull out on me. 

I drive the Westfield very differently to how I drive the daily beater.