O/T Cleaning products for bumper plastics

Mark (smokey mow)

After a long day of polishing and cleaning the camper ready to put it up for sale, I now need to turn my attention to the faded grey bumpers which after 20 years in the sun have totally lost their appearance.

My limited experience in the 90's of products such as "back to black" was disappointing as the finish always ended up patchy and seemed to need reapplying again after almost every wash.

I'm now wondering if there's something better that I could be using to give a longer lasting finish? I'm not interested in trying any of the old wives tales of smearing peanut butter over them but rather I'm seeking something that can be bought in a bottle and that lasts a reasonable amount of time. Is there anything you've used that works well?

TIA Mark

HI Mark, Personal recommendation after using this product in a similar situation to you and was amazed by the results ;)

Expensive but a professional product but a little goes a long way and will give a much better, longer lasting result than back to black gel products.

Gtechniq C4

Mark, Richard, who used to live here and was an industrial chemist recommended Mir. This was to arrest the UV attack on the carbon. It did get the carbon black again but did not arrest the degradation.

I've seen WD40 used on UV degraded plastics, might be worth using it on a small patch.

However I don't think anything will stay good for long. Richard said that even the best polish would be gone after a few washes.

HI Mark, Personal recommendation after using this product in a similar situation to you and was amazed by the results ;)

Expensive but a professional product but a little goes a long way and will give a much better, longer lasting result than back to black gel products.

Gtechniq C4

Thanks, that looks really effective from the video and the type of thing I'm looking for :yes: not cheep for the amount you get but it looks like it goes a long way :)

Mark, Richard, who used to live here and was an industrial chemist recommended Mir. This was to arrest the UV attack on the carbon. It did get the carbon black again but did not arrest the degradation.

I've seen WD40 used on UV degraded plastics, might be worth using it on a small patch.

However I don't think anything will stay good for long. Richard said that even the best polish would be gone after a few washes.

Thanks Norman, if I'm honest it only has to look good until it's sold. But I'm not one to bodge a job and I don't know how long it will take to sell the van so I would rather I apply something that looks good and lasts.

Gtechniq is pretty good, but it's very very picky about the preparation... If you have a hot air gun, many people have used one of these to bring out the black. Never had the cahoonahs to try it myself

In my experience only two things work really well for any length of time.

1 - paint them.  Clean properly and use a specific bumper type paint to bring them back. 

2 - heat.  Use a hairdryer or be very careful with a heat gun over the plastic.  Brings back depth of colour and the natural sheen - before and after is below:

BEFORE:

top-front.jpg

AFTER:

Cti-high-res1.jpg

Don't paint or use any crap products. Use a heat gun. Very carefully.

Thanks for the input guys :t-up:

I was eager to get on today but nowhere was open to sell me some expensive liquids in a small bottle and I'm sadly not blessed with enough hair to own a hair dryer. Luckily the corner shop was open so I decided to give peanut butter a chance after all, at only £1.99 for a jar of happy shoppers finest it was worth a punt :oops:

As I believe is the norm on detailing forums :d here is the before and after

DSC_10210.jpg

And a couple of pictures of a now very shiny van :cool:

DSC_10214.jpg

DSC_10216.jpg

Looks good enough to wipe your dinner on...

Looks great Smokey  :t-up:

Hope the new owner doesn't have a day out at Woburn or Longleat Safari parks, those bumpers will drive the monkeys,  er "NUTS"  :d  :laugh:  ;)

Looks great Smokey  :t-up:

Hope the new owner doesn't have a day out at Woburn or Longleat Safari parks, those bumpers will drive the monkeys,  er "NUTS"  :d  :laugh:  ;)

The thought had crossed my mind :d they do have a slightly err nutty smell at the moment :oops:

Looks good enough to wipe your dinner on...

thanks :) it's not quite finished yet :oops: next weekend I'll be turning my attention to the interior.

Seems absolutely nuts :laugh:  that it would have worked but good results; would be interested to know how long it will last but fingers crossed you get a quick sale :t-up: