New to the forum with plenty of questions :)

Sean12

Hello guys, 

I am new to the forum and potentially buying my first westie tonight....cant wait !!!!

I do however have a burning question that could effect my purchase....are windscreens readily available, and if so where is best to find one, and what should i expect to pay?

Thank you guys, i look forward to meeting some of you and getting to know you all better.

Sean

Readily available new from the factory and often used in the Parts For Sale section below, so no worries. :)

Don't forget if you're converting from aeroscreen, you'll also need wipers and a washer bottle / pump / spray nozzles, plus the associated wiring involved.

All doable, used probably around the £300 mark all together as a complete guess.  You might be better getting used to an aeroscreen first before lashing out, but yes, not a problem.

Good luck! :t-up:

Thank you mate, thanks for you help. Its more so that I don't have to where a helmet everywhere when on the road...bit of a chore lol

I have also heard mixed information regarding wearing a helmet on the road in a car, whether it is legal or not !?

Welcome to the club

I'd give the aeroscreen a chance first having just swapped from a windscreen

I'm giving it a go for a year and so far I'm sticking with it

Don't forget a heater to de mist the screen or heated screen

In the rain without doors you get water on the inside as well as the front of the screen :( bit of a pain, but they are good for just popping out around town with

Get along to your local club and have a ride in a screened car

Hope it all works out with your viewing tonight :)

Theirs a few threads about driving glasses for kit cars

That's what I use for non motorway trips now

Decent pair of Oakleys / goggles and ear plugs for motorways or a helmet.

If I'm just popping into town/down the pub etc and not doing over 40/50, just sunglasses will do.

Also depends on what aero screen you have, and how much angle & lip its got to how much it works.

Some interesting posts from a few traffic police officers on a forum know as 'Policeoracle' regarding this matter, link here.  

I have an areoscreened westfield and always wear a helmet no matter how far I'm going, I value my eyesight and good looks too much to be spoilt by a stone or any other foreign object :laugh:

• Like 3

Thanks for the feed back guys, this seems a good active place (placed deposit on car this eve, can't wait to show you all an attend meets).

Yeah I think helmet is the way for me with a dual carriage way and motorway on route to work. So excited to pick it up Thursday.

Thanks for the policeoracle link I'll have a good search.

Thanks guys, time to find the midlands group/meets

I'd view someone driving a clapped out Saxo differently to someone driving an aero screened sportscar and a friend of mine in the Met agrees. It's all about your attitude from you to the Police too!

James, your starter for ten is: Thanks guys, time to find the midlands group/meets 

I am in Coventry, I work at JLR at gaydon, have seen a couple of westies around so might find a few on here.

Apologies for all the questions :) do you know much I would expect to pay for my 2004 2.0l zetec road tax?

The other question, I believe you can't but worth the question. Can a windscreen an hood be used with a full cage?

Thanks guys

Road tax for kit cars is based on the old PLG rates so presently £230 for 12months

You can fit a screen with a full cage but not a full hood, although Westfield have recently released a half hood which works with their cage.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/107168-westfield-release-half-hoof-for-full-roll-caged-vehicles/?p=1118789

That is perfect !!!!! Thank you. Just the info I was after. Looks a nice bit of kit. Not sure it's going to stop you getting wet but.... It will deff help :)