Insurance whilst building?

TableLeg

Does anybody have any recommendations to companies that will insure a car whilst building?

Thanks in advance.

I converted my old car's insurance to a "build insurance" type policy when the old one went. I'm with A Plan.

frank pickles (no relation :d) do it

I think all the kit car company's do build up cover 

Footman James no longer do it, A Plan were closed. Adrian S Flux will do it but as this is the only quote I have had I don't yet know if it's any good or not. Sales adviser guaranteed the quote could not be beaten I told him 'well you would say that wouldn't you!'.

I'll try some more tomorrow.

The problem I had 16 years ago, was that AF or FJ didn't really do it, and after a few weeks they kept ringing asking for a Reg No.    I hope its improved.

I do agree that when you've got several grands worth of bits in your garage, it worth insuring

I had the same problem finding build insurance and eventually paid ~£200 for 1 years cover in 2012 through the contact details below. They also do annual kit car insurance that includes 5 days track days insurance - annual cost £375 so I didn't bother.

Richard Wass l Motorsport Account Executive l

T: 0115 968 2417 F: 0844 892 1967 E: richard.wass@towergate.co.uk

Competition Car Insurance and Towergate Insurance, Nottingham

Loxley House, Tottle Road, Riverside Office Park, Nottingham, NG2 1RR. 0115 968 2400

Towergate Insurance and Competition Car Insurance are trading names of Towergate Underwriting Group Ltd

I had mine with Footman James but after issuing the policy they then decided that they needed a registration number ( during the build before IVA) couldn't do it and eventually I bought a  number from DVLA and linked it to the chassis number satisfying them. It was previously on the chassis number. No matter how much negotiation I tried they wouldn't budge, jobs worth my lord. No common sense. You are when all said and done insuring additional items in your garage and its not a "car" until it is at least a rolling chassis. Beauracracy gone bl**dy stupid again. But sir that's what the government insist on, bullsh*t. Rant over can't someone just man up and make a decision its not hard is it.

Good luck hope you get sorted. Maybe one of our sponsors will read this and get some common sense injected.

And breathe

Bob :d:down::cry:

Suprised at the problems. I have my XI under A Plan insurance and it's approx  £ 100 a year, apparently it will only go up £ 20 or £ 30 when it's on the road. Took this out last September, so it should be available . Try speaking to Claire if you are having problems.

I was insured with Adrian Flux back in 2007 when building mine and the premium worked out at about £10 per £1000 insured.

As well as A-plan, I would also suggest trying REIS and Competition Car Insurance.

Thanks all :yes:

I'll be making some more calls tomorrow. :)

Well, I came across a post on this site by Clare of 'A Plan Insurance' and decided to send her a message as per her post request.

After responding I called today and had a long chat with her. I cannot recommend Clare and A plan highly enough.

Clare was very polite (but full of cold poor lass) and very knowledgeable. She discussed the various options with which I could take out a policy and the best way to keep the premium as low as possible. Having decided on the options she then went away and called various companies before coming back with a quote.

Pleasantly surprised by the amount. No comparison to the guy I spoke to at AS Flux who I found both pushy and disinterested. Clare was quite the opposite.

A plan will be at the Stoneleigh show so anybody else looking for insurance I would recommend you speak to them and especially you ask for for Clare as she is there too :yes:

Thanks to all for the help.

I'm well chuffed.

:)