newbie seeking info

paulprior21

My wife also whinges about the wind, cold etc.    I have a windscreen and doors fitted when her indoors is in the car, they just hook on to the windscreen uprights in seconds, it is that easy.   However it will be a bit of a job fitting the uprights, windscreen, wipers, washers, leave it for a winter project and in the meantime put up a wanted topic for all the parts on this forum

I also have the AA Composites aeroscreen conversion kit for trackdays only and that can be changed over in 10 mins.  It is not the bubble type aero you have but is just shorter uprights with a low Perspex screen http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/102226-interchangeable-aeroscreens-for-se-sew/  

Hi Mate,  If you are on the road I would always wear a helmet - I got hit by a stone on a trike  when I was younger without a helmet and it fractured my orbit - Ouch 

Hi, thanks for all the advise, has anyone compared the different types of deflectors available?, I was just looking at one from AA composites that looked like a low screen, any thoughts?.

Thanks

Paul

I have and aero screen and a helmet... works for me way better than the windscreen, also looks better ... only my opinion of course.

went for a spin in a mates hoodie at the weekend that has a windscreen and that reminded me just how useless they are.....(the screen not the Hood) Well...

cheers Greggs

I have been driving with aero for over ten years. Only used a helmet once in heavy rain on the M6 (well it was at Manchester)

My aero deflects the wind and all all light stones over my head. Yes, I may get hit by a brick but I would have a good chance of seeing a larger than small stone coming towards me. 

Sorry but I can't see the point of wearing a helmet, the fun is being in the open (I'm a bit claustrophobic)

I drive with and without helmet (it was a bit cold without on the way to work this morning)!

Don't know if it has already been mentioned, but If you choose without, then consider getting a pair of ear plugs. Even the throw-away ones are fine, but the wind noise without at speed can be quite unbearable. And as a bonus, you won't be able to hear your passengers scream!!! :d

certainly, but remember this is a Caterham but the principle will be the same.

From the inside:

accident222.jpg

and from te outside

accident228.jpg

If I plan to just nip to the shop etc, 30mph then no helmet but defo glasses, I use dirty dogs from my bike days.

Anything more than 30mph and you would need super human reflexes to avoid a small stone that's large and heavy enough to rob you of your eyesight.

Whilst on the subject of aero screens my son and I went over the Yorkshire Dales and up into Cumbria last Saturday, a round trip of just over 200 miles. The first 62 up to Cracoe were bone dry if a little chilly, ate breakfast then set off towards Cumbria. It then rained for the rest of the day, surprisingly we didn't get soaked, a little damp around the shoulders but other than that all good.

I originally had a wind screen and hood and spent a journey coming back from Silverstone trying to clear condensation from the screen and to be honest even with a heater wasn't much warmer than without the hood. It's everyone's preference personally I like the aero.  :)

I'm going to advocate a screen because I dislike my helmet.  I dislike the full sidescreens too (again too claustrophobic).  I have a standard screen and some poly carbonate wind deflectors (like quarterlights).  The factory do some here.  Mine are a bit smaller.  They more or less eliminate the buffeting and I find it easy to chat at 'motorway' speeds.  I'd also advocate ear plugs.  I got some made at Specsavers for eliminating motorbike exhaust noise and they work brilliantly and can chat with a passenger at the same time.

Get along to your local meeting and blag a ride in Westies with different solutions

Oh and welcome to the club  :)  :)  :)

I'm with Rorys dad on this windscreen with wind deflectors plenty of wind but stops the air being shoved up one nostril and sucked out the other. As for dodging a stone no chance especially considering you ate strapped in. In my bike days I was hit by a stone on the visor and it was like a bullet the visor was fine but the bang was enough for me to pull to one side and take a breather. If I hadn't bothered with visor down it certainly could have made a mess of my face.

Hope that helps

Paul

I have had windscreens and aero screens both have plus and minus points. But with the arro screen you need ballistic grade protection and a secure restraining strap . And I would advise a helmet for early morning driving as its a lot less painfull when you headbutt a wood pigeon at sixty . If you go full screen then you have the issue of keeping the inside dry and fog free. So heated screen or heater is required unless you have long arms that can reach the inside of the screen

I may be a bit of a cheapskate but a pair of Spoggles which are spec/googles which have an elastic strap are safety spec grade and don't cost much. You don't need to lash out a shed load of cash and you can get tinted types.  I wouldn't bother wearing sun glasses, as at any moment you could have something flicked into your eyes and you don't want that and the shards of glass being dug out of your peepers. You only have one set so don't risk them for the sake of looking cool. I'd rather look a complete d*ck than be blinded. Its also quite hard to drive, steer and stop with tear streaming eyes.

Every pound a prisoner but no substitute for safety.

Bob :)