furthest you've driven in your westy?

ian996

I don't have anything to tow my westy with to trackdays and I don't fancy buying a tow car as it won't get used seeing as I work offshore I have no need for a daily, my other car is also a sports road car.

So looks like I'm going to have to drive the westy to track days, from leics they are all about 2hrs..

How far have you guys driven?

I used to drive mine to trackdays, and being based up in the North East, all but Croft were a two hours plus drive. My son used to follow with a "service" car full of tools, wheels etc.

Much easier with a trailer. :)

The most miles for me in a single day is 500miles and last year I managed a run of 250miles going the scenic route to Stoneleigh.  Most of my blats can be anything around 4 hours. 

Don't let distance put you off doing something you want to do :) if you want to do it enough then there's normally a way round things such as booking a travel inn close by or asking a friend along too to bring the spares in their car.

I drove from Leeds to Silverstone a week after buying mine. Was supposed to be "in convoy" with a Fiat X/19 and a Cobra. When we hit the A1, the Fiat disappered, We were stuck behind trucks on the Doncaster Bypass with no map or SatNav, Managed to find our way to the M1 after I got Flashed going through a red light (Driver awareness course attended) somewhere in Leicester and on to Silverstone for the Classic.

Back home on the M1 avioding the senic route.

I drove to track days and sprints last year.

If you seats and driving position are right for you, the miles will be eaten!

As Mark said.

It's not the distance

It's enjoying the experience.

I did Sheffield to that circuit north of Edinburgh (can't remember name) several times. Also Anglesey.

But 630 miles Sheffield to here (Noellet in France)

I've done a couple of 300 mile days quite easily without many stops. Could do more with time and stops.

Earplugs (which I almost always use) make it easier.

I compete in the Speed Series and for ten years drove to (and from) every event. I live near Milton Keynes and events varied from near Exeter, Haverfordwest, Leeds, Hethel, Lyden Hill, etc. Go for it!

Keith

We've done a few trips over the years one of which is in the copy Scott has included in this post.  But, during one trip around Scotland one of our chaps drove from the British Grand Prix at Silverstone and caught up with us at Dornie in Scotland, approx 550 miles later. :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect: 

He looked a bit haggered when he arrived :laugh:  :laugh:  

• Like 1

Depends how much track time you want - if you want to be on the track as much as possible then I have found you are generally quite drained by the end of it and a couple of your drive in a westfield is hard work - but it can be done if you are fit

For me though I would perhaps try to get some accommodation booked nearby so you can make the most of your day or perhaps call it a day 3ish and start the trip home early

I generally find I start to make mistakes the later it gets in the day :-)

A good idea above to take a friend in a support car with loads of tools, fuel, fluids, spares wheels and common spares for your first track day as they have a habit of teasing out issues on cars that have not had to suffer the abuse of a full on track day

Stops,  I forget that. My car does about 100 miles to a tank, so stops are frequent.

Drove mine home from Hemel Hampstead to Aberdeen about 550 miles over 2 days ..........great fun once in the borders area 

iv driven the dax to the bavarian alps? does that count? didnt bring it home tho  :down:

We've done a few trips over the years one of which is in the copy Scott has included in this post.  But, during one trip around Scotland one of our chaps drove from the British Grand Prix at Silverstone and caught up with us at Dornie in Scotland, approx 550 miles later. :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:

He looked a bit haggered when he arrived :laugh:  :laugh:  

That'll be marathon man Glen.