car lifts

pete g

Er, nobody has circulated any email or pm to me asking if they can set up a bulk buy, nor am I personally aware of any other committee member receiving a written request to set one up.

Dave

Same here.

yep that's my point . killed the group buys off . :suspect:

Sooo, dropping a simple email to one of us is enough of a hassle to put someone off? Really? How on earth do they manage to get the BB organised?

Or are you just looking for a convenient excuse? :oops::suspect:

dave

im just pointing out since the new rules I have not seen 1 group buy .

by a wscc member not trader

I know, I understand. I'm thinking maybe the "rules" haven't been written clearly enough, or perhaps someone's misunderstanding has been spread and taken as gospel?

For the record though. if ANYONE is thinking of organising a bulk buy and the supplier doesn't want to sign up as a trader, please, drop me a PM, or email to Cheshire@wscc.co.uk or call me on 07769 908575 to discuss it and I will be more than happy to circulate it to the rest of the committee.

(I'm sure all the other committee members would say the same if they were on hand).

The BB rules aren't there for any sinister reason, just to protect club members, especially the club member actually organising the BB!

• Like 1

well lets hope they start up again . they save members lots of money .

Absolutely.

I think the main issue with the last few times people have tried to generate some interest is that they've just fizzled out well before the desired numbers have been reached.

Whether that"s because they've been the "wrong" product, or that members wallets were still under too much of a squeeze I honestly don't know.

But then, you look a the posted responses, on the Boardroom at least, to some of the cracking deals our sponsors have had, and while some have been really good, others that you'd have thought would have post after post of endorsements, have been a bit quiet!

MOTCO, the bolts are only locating, the lift will go straight up and down therfore no sideways force at all. There eill be sideways force if pushing on the ramp or car from one side.

I'd be surprised if a US product will be CE marked. I've known people buy equipment from the US only to have it refused entry at the docks as it's not CE marked.

I could start a bulk buy with my Chinese contact I did the previous bulk buys with. Oh no, sorry, can't do that, it's against club rules.

Just had a quick look around. For ten full height two poster lifts I could probably get them at under £600 FOB. Add shipping and dock charges and then UK VAT and we could probably get them ready for collection at Felixstowe for between £650 & £750 each. They would then need distributing to the ten (or more) buyers.

Norman, imagine holding two heavy weights on your hands with your arms outstretched. If you didn't put one foot forward you'd fall forwards due to the turning moment due to the downforce multiplied by the arm length. Sorry to disagree, but there is a considerable force acting to push the columns in towards each other under load. A brace across the top or beam across the floor between the columns would mitigate it but get in the way of the access.

your only lifting at Westfield  300kg per side  if you was worried weld a foot on the bottom. I think you under estimate the strength of concrete and steel bolts. Like I said there's about a 500% safety margin  . I think you would see a problem well before  any failure.

but if it worries you need use a different method

Motco, I fitted our first two poster in 1967. Fitted many after that and never had problems with fixing bolts. I think your theory is good but the arms are not that extended and, in my opinion, the majority of the force is downwards.

Of course I may be wrong but I am a big fan of two posters and installed them in most of the workshops I was responsible for (six workshops).

Scott and Dave.

On the first criteria I doubt that the largest Chinese manufacturing company would want to pay to become a trader of the club. That therefore leaves it up to someone to apply for permission to organise a bulk buy for members. If the criteria as to whether the person and/or bulk buy was known then maybe members would be more willing to start bulk buys. As they are not and there's some groundwork to be done before a BB can be started, and presumably permission applied for, it's probably not worth doing the groundwork only to find permission refused.

Or are you saying that if I asked "Can I start a bulk buy" the committee would say "yes"

I must confess here that I'm aware of the reason for the BB rules. However the rules do not stop the incident happening again.

Just for the record the last BB I organised was for race jacks, combo ratchet spanners, wheel nut guns and tool boxes and was valued at $98,000.

Or are you saying that if I asked "Can I start a bulk buy" the committee would say "yes"

No, that's not what we're saying - to repeat:

Where a member is able to bring a special offer, this may be approved by the committee as a special bulk buy offered to the members

Which by definition also means "may not".

Any bulk buy purposed by a member would be judged on its merits by the Committee on an individual basis.

I must confess here that I'm aware of the reason for the BB rules. However the rules do not stop the incident happening again.

Glad you're aware of the reason (there's about a dozen reasons, actually), which we have covered extensively in the past and not going to rehash.  However, they do stop it being publicised on the forum if we think it may put the members or the club at risk or disadvantage in any fashion.  We have a clear responsibility and duty of care to our members.  If members wish to go "off radar" and have a BB entirely through the PM system, that's their prerogative and it's a case of caveat emptor, but any reference to unapproved BBs in the forums would be moderated.

Just for the record the last BB I organised was for race jacks, combo ratchet spanners, wheel nut guns and tool boxes and was valued at $98,000.

Interesting, but that was eight years ago and on a different forum, and the overall value is not the point.

Now then, this thread is not about BBs, it's about car lifts.  If you have a solid and valid proposal for a car lift BB, bring it to the Committee.  Until then, let's get back on topic please.

• Like 1

I think you under estimate the strength of concrete and steel bolts. Like I said there's about a 500% safety margin

Pete, I'm not able to dispute if the manufacturer has designed for a safety factor of 500 in their equiptment, but I am with confidence and working experience able to say that you will not achive anything close to that margin of safety in the mechanical fixing between the baseplate of the lift and the concrete.
  • Like 1

mark the safety figure is for the fixings mate.. of course that does mean being fitted correctly. but even if not .what im saying is it would be pretty hard to pull them out without any signs in well advance of failure.

basic checks the same as you would do on any safety equipment before use

each 5/8 bolt exceeds 14000pounds  when properly installed and there's 5 of them in each leg

mark the safety figure is for the fixings mate.. of course that does mean being fitted correctly. but even if not .what im saying is it would be pretty hard to pull them out without any signs in well advance of failure.

basic checks the same as you would do on any safety equipment before use

each 5/8 bolt exceeds 14000pounds  when properly installed and theres 6 of them

yes I've seen their calculations but these have only considered shear on the shank of the bolt. They have not however calculated for the clamping friction between the bolt and the hole in the concrete into which it is installed as would be an unknown factor for them. Concrete in incredably poor in tension and the fixing would fail in the hole a long time before it was ever to shear.