car lifts

pete g

That looks great the only downside is the ac of 110volts which will need transformer! In you enquires can you also enquire about the possibility of 220volts?

Looking forward to hear what they reply :)

Good point; I'll  raise it if and when I get a reply.

If you can work out how to get a commercial two post in then that is much better in terms of quality and safety in the long run.

The key thing is the post hieght, if you can make a way of the posts being able to be installed, in my garage that will be by positioning between the rafters, then you can fit collars or a switch that stops the car being lifted too high and hitting the roof.

As for the concrete stregnth, you can cut out two sections and then instal suitable pads that will carry the weight. In many older workshops I have worked in the floors were all too thin to support ramps without the padding.

An alternative if you cannot get one inside is, if allowed, fit an old four post ramp outdoors. You used to have old Bradbury ramps that were designed to be outside for jobs like steam cleaning etc. They work with an electric motor that is waterproof and the rest if kept well greased is fine outside.

There is one still used an insured in Winterbourne Bristol to this day without issue.

When I retire and move home, I will have a garage that will have a ramp as jobs are so much easier with them.

Jeff, I did move home, and now have a garage big enough for three cars at a pinch, but the headroom is only 2.4 metres at best. The older I get, the more I would like a lift rather than grovelling on my hands and knees to work on the car's underpinnings. Something must be done! :d

Graham, did you buy a QuickJack yet? My worry is that it might be a bit unstable laterally and that a good push to undo a tight bolt could knock the whole thing over sideways, car and all!  :bangshead:

No, I don't have one yet. Still a little on the fence about it. I will look around some other forums to see if I can find any real world reviews.

I realise that, but its the continued bolting and unbolting I fear will compromise them. Its a bit like reusing nyloc nuts, you will get away with it the first time, and the next, and probably if the exposed thread isnt still, twenty times. But eventually they will fail, often at a very inopportune time.

Daniel 

Looking more critically at the MaxJax, the part that worries me is the security and quality of the anchorages. The cantilever moment, or leverage, raised by the weight of the vehicle is trying to wrench the bolts out of the concrete so it is vital that really strong and secure anchors are used. Can the DiY installer be totally confident of the security of his/her bolting down?

At least with the QuickJack that Graham mentioned there's none of this to worry about - and it's probably cheaper! 

MOTCO, the bolts are only locating, the lift will go straight up and down therfore no sideways force at all. There eill be sideways force if pushing on the ramp or car from one side.

I'd be surprised if a US product will be CE marked. I've known people buy equipment from the US only to have it refused entry at the docks as it's not CE marked.

I could start a bulk buy with my Chinese contact I did the previous bulk buys with. Oh no, sorry, can't do that, it's against club rules.

Just had a quick look around. For ten full height two poster lifts I could probably get them at under £600 FOB. Add shipping and dock charges and then UK VAT and we could probably get them ready for collection at Felixstowe for between £650 & £750 each. They would then need distributing to the ten (or more) buyers.

I could start a bulk buy with my Chinese contact I did the previous bulk buys with. Oh no, sorry, can't do that, it's against club rules.

The rules specifically are:

"Bulk Buys

Bulk buys shall be offered by commercial entities is such a way as to ensure that the contractual relationship is directly with each purchasing member. In practice, this means most bulk buy companies should consider trade membership to advertise and offer their bulk buy or members discount schemes.

Where a member is able to bring a special offer, this may be approved by the committee as a special bulk buy offered to the members."

So no, Norman, that's incorrect, it's not "against club rules", but bulk buys organised and promoted on the forum that are not offered by a commercial entity (i.e. the manufacturer / agent or their appointed UK agent for the product or service on offer) have to be approved by the committee.

I'm surprised after the last bulk buy you did with your Chinese contact and the many horror stories you've shared with us about it regarding getting people to pay, import hassles, etc. that you'd consider doing another one.

it that why you don't see any more done since the new rules :p

yes seen them and they don't look bad for the money . but you have limited underneath space to work on car .ok for height

it that why you don't see any more done since the new rules :p

Er, nobody has circulated any email or pm to me asking if they can set up a bulk buy, nor am I personally aware of any other committee member receiving a written request to set one up.

Dave