car lifts

pete g

been looking at getting  a small car lift  . but storage could be a problem and would like one  big enough  to use on main car. size seems to be  limit me as my garage has limited inside height  .I have seen these and they look a good idea can use inside and move outside too when needed . and might even get away with using only one to lift the westfield [well with in lifting weight] .

looking for options on different lifts and cheapest place to buy.

http://www.maxjax.co.uk/learn.aspx

Looks good! Price?

Pete, knowing how much you enjoy taking your car apart and therefore how much use this will be getting had you considered altering the internal ceiling in your garage to gain more height for a fixed lift?

For the big jobs where the car might need to be in the air for a few days I'd personally much rather have the security of being able to shut everything in the garage overnight rather than having to leave the car and lift out on the driveway.

Looks good! Price?

£1595 +vat

mark

can move it in 15min from inside to outside . plus you can lock it in place i think i could can one car on the lift and one under at the same time.

this is the only lift with low sides and would fit through my garage door with the wheels .

so could take outside to work on car at a higher high .or use it on the tow car which is higher.

group buy anyone lol

Looks very interesting. What is the minimum ceiling height to use it inside the garage?

On the website it says the minimum ceiling height is 8 feet.

I've looked at getting one of these before....still very tempted.

mark

can move it in 15min from inside to outside . plus you can lock it in place i think i could can one car on the lift and one under at the same time.

this is the only lift with low sides and would fit through my garage door with the wheels .

so could take outside to work on car at a higher high .or use it on the tow car which is higher.

group buy anyone lol

just reading the spec Pete and it only lifts to 45" (1143mm) so you wont get be able to get another car under it like you suggest ???

I see you point about how the lift can be stored back into the garage easily at the end of a days work but my point was that this does rely on the car that was on it being in a position where it can be moved. If you need a few days to work on the suspension as an example then you'll be stuck with a Westfield and and lift on your driveway for several days until the car is reassembled and able to be moved off it.

mark when i measured my westfield it was  no more than 1metre in height..if left in the garage the floor is clear. i only need one car in there during the summer the post heights are below 2metre but raise to about 2.3metre. seems perfect for me . need to get it cheaper .inside i have 2.5metre clearance

mark when i measured my westfield it was  no more than 1metre in height..if left in the garage the floor is clear. i only need one car in there during the summer the post heights are below 2metre but raise to about 2.3metre. seems perfect for me . need to get it cheaper .inside i have 2.5metre clearance

ok fair enough, but be mindfull that the lift height wont be the same as the clearance underneath it. The wheels and suspension of the car on the lift will hang lower than the underside of the lifting arms so there may or may not be quite enough room below these for another car.

For me one of the main issues is the the ground anchors threads will, with time and repeated bolting and unbolting, degrad. When you get stuff in them, they pick up a bit, rust, etc. I am sure it would be for quite a few moves, and better inside than out, but I would be quite weary of an intention to use it most weekends, and or, with 6 months off over winter.

Daniel 

most 2 post  lifts are bolted to the floor  . when not in use just put the bolts in the holes with grease.

just got email  back from local importer and they wont be in till September due to new rules on lifts and they need to be modified to meet the new laws and ce approval. price my be a issue will have to wait and see.

Most 2 post  lifts are bolted to the floor 

I realise that, but its the continued bolting and unbolting I fear will compromise them. Its a bit like reusing nyloc nuts, you will get away with it the first time, and the next, and probably if the exposed thread isnt still, twenty times. But eventually they will fail, often at a very inopportune time.

Daniel 

I believe there's a something lke 500% safety factor included so I don't think you have to worry

These lifts look a great idea - I would, however be more worried that the concrete I am putting the captive anchors in, is strong enough. (My garage floor is only about 6" thick concrete with no reinforcing bars in it - when I laid it, I should have thought ahead and put a rebar grid in!).

Good luck with it - and let us know how you get on if you decide to go ahead.

Dave