Rear diffuser

Looking to fit a rear diffuser onto my wide body westy

Question is which one is the best choice...

Aerodynamix or Playskool??

Anyone got any pictures of both diffusers?

Cheers ad

I have the Aerodynamix one, easy to fit and also very easy to take off and put back on with their fitting kit 

Ad , have you seen the pictures on the website , see the link , there are a couple on there plus some different views . Quite a few members have them fitted , hopefully someone can assist you shortly . 

See link , I can't post pics up from website as they are protected . 

http://www.aerodynamix.co.uk/rear-diffuser-wide-body.html

I've got a Playskool one that's never been fitted, and if I'm honest, I'm probably never going to. Would let it go for what I paid; £50, includes a "fitting kit", (pair of bonnet pins).

I'll be honest, I bought it with the intention of building up a pair of patterns on it that I could pull a mould off so that I could make some separate covers for the lower suspension wishbones. Instead of just having them sticking through the diffuser.

Got as far as half a dozen coats of wax on, ready to start building up the profile I wanted, when Julian announced his new diffuser on Facebook, with suspension pockets built in. Doh! Didn't seem much point after that, then I started on the Honda project, and it just got filed in the shed with the other spare parts.

If I ever change my mind and fit one, it will probably be the Aerodynamix one!

(How's that for an honest ad!)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

HI guys 

I'm looking to fit a diffuser to my MegaBusa, I had fitted an Areodynamix one over the winter break but it fell off at Goodwood a couple of weeks ago, looks like the pressure sucked it out of the U section at the front as soon as I got onto the 1st straight then it just scraped along the floor being held in place by the bonnet pins at the back, to be honest wasn't very impressed with the thing in the first place, poorly finished when it arrived and turned out to be too flimsy.

So instead I'm looking at one of these http://www.sa-motorsport.co.uk/rear-diffusers.html which are made in aluminium so shouldn't flex and be sucked off the U section (Though I will add some extra retaining screws to the front this time)

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

5799170_orig.jpg

• Like 1

Agree with the quality - I have one and the finish is shocking. 1313 had one on his car and it ended up half a mile down the road!

I have mine fitted now but haven't driven with it on. 

The link you sent looks good.

I've been pleased to have many positive comments about our diffusers .

We have supplied lots of these and the fitting kits we have supplied have been used with our diffusers and I also know of some cars running Plays-kool diffusers with our kits too . 

If they are fitted correctly there should be no issues before supplying any fitting kits these were extensively run by Tom on his car on road and track with no issues after he developed the kit . We have been lucky to get some high speed photo's of diffusers in action , as you would expect at high speed there will be some flex if you are concerned about this you may consider some additional support however this may mean that it might not be as readily removable . 

Please remember these are supplied at a cost , if you want a completely solid item you will have to go one of two ways , either fit an aluminium item as suggested , the additional strakes on this one will help with rigidity , if you want a lighter solution you could fit a two tier Carbon item from Westermann , however these do go for about £1000.00

If you are not happy I will refund on return of the diffuser which I think is more than fair !

If anyone who has purchased one of these please speak to me if you are not happy rather than posting derogatory comments please . 

I had the Aerodynamix one fitted to my old Westy with their fitting it for over 3 years and its still on the car now as far as I know.  

I used the car for trackdays, road tours round France and also the WSCC Speed Series, not once did it fall off or come away from the mounting points. Im sorry to say but I think it might be down to the people fitting it tbh.

The reason im not fitting to the new car is because it has the FW back end and would look out of place :p  :laugh:  

• Like 1

I have a simple GRP 'diffuser'.  I say 'diffuser' because I don't think it does much more than keep the void under your back panel a lot cleaner with it fitted rather than not.   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Mine has detents to clear the rear suspension on full droop and is firmly fixed, particularly at the front.  The spacers, which are made of ali tube, have been carefully cut to length so that the diffuser fits in tightly.  I agree that a careful fitting process is the key to all of this.

• Like 1

Just a quick reply, I can assure you the diffuser was fitted correctly, butted up tightly into the supplied U section at the front and held in place with the supplied fittings at the back. We checked there was no movement back and forth to ensure that it was not going to slide back an out of the U section.

I checked it was fitted correctly before heading out onto the track, and in fact at Goodwood they had someone checking under each car before each run, so I can only assume that the diffuser flexed downwards enough to pop out of the U section.

Please remember these are supplied at a cost , if you want a completely solid item you will have to go one of two ways

So you are saying that you do expect there it to flex because they are supplied at cost..... if that's the case then it would probably be a good idea to supply a deeper u section.

I would return it but there wasn't much left of it once I got back to the paddock to be of any use to anyone, so will just chalk it up as part of regular competition costs.

Cheers

Paul

More than happy with mine from Julian, its stood up to 80-90mph and hasn't popped out. There are marks on it but I assume they are from the mould and ISTR Julian mentioning this on the advertisement - when fitted you can't see them - but as above, more than happy for the money!

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 19/05/2015 at 20:32, Beez said:

HI guys 

I'm looking to fit a diffuser to my MegaBusa, I had fitted an Areodynamix one over the winter break but it fell off at Goodwood a couple of weeks ago, looks like the pressure sucked it out of the U section at the front as soon as I got onto the 1st straight then it just scraped along the floor being held in place by the bonnet pins at the back, to be honest wasn't very impressed with the thing in the first place, poorly finished when it arrived and turned out to be too flimsy.

So instead I'm looking at one of these http://www.sa-motorsport.co.uk/rear-diffusers.html which are made in aluminium so shouldn't flex and be sucked off the U section (Though I will add some extra retaining screws to the front this time)

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

http://www.sa-motorsport.co.uk/uploads/1/0/1/3/10135181/5799170_orig.jpg

I have a steve Adkins, SA Motorsport one on mine and its never been a problem once. I've rivnut it to to chassis and trust me it's had the ultimate test at 162 mph.

Tragically Steve was killed a few yrs ago in a biking accident. He was a lovely guy so sad.

20220801_113351.jpg