Castle Combe

Paul Morcom

Yes James that's Me!

I Made it and with a target time or 152 I could only manage a 163 but the track was damp and it even rained on my while I was going round!

Looking for the wiper switch at 100mph on a bend is not fun! 

Ill post my best video in a minute?

Can anyone tell me my points? the point calculator is not updated with the correct target times yet? I thinks I needed a 147?

About 92.76 can't be too accurate without the exact time

Them cold tyres are a b***h

Cool vid

Good lines Lee and nice and committed over avon rise :)... 

here's my run too :) been wanting to beat the target time for 4 years and finally did it :)

• Like 4

Cracking run Rob, that strung together well. You seem to have that circuit nailed now.

I couldn't stop all day so left at Lunch but it was bitter cold so probably more time to shave if the temp was a bit kinder on the tyres.

Nice to see Pauls single seater as well lovely bit of kit.

We were very lucky with the weather apart from it being so cold again

The modified bodywork on Paul's classic Ford Westfield was magnificent and a real snug fit for Gluten Free, God knows how Paul will fit?

I have registed my disappointment with the organising guy's (well they asked for feedback) about only getting one run in before 2-00 pm

I don't mind being on the supporting undercard to the big boys in the single seater's but please treat us fairly!

Getting up at 4-30 for a 7-15 am signing on time them only one run in the morning then an hour for the marshall's break is taking things a bit too far.

Why can't thses types of events be run in two halves of the day so we all get equal treatment and don't have to get up so early?

I don't normally like to winge but 2 years in a row with a low entry and very cold weather and only 3 runs in the day has worn very thin with me.

Hopefully they can rejig things for next year before we have to review our support of this event on such a great track!

I will put my tin helmet on now!

Gluten Free

We were very lucky with the weather apart from it being so cold againThe modified bodywork on Paul's classic Ford Westfield was magnificent and a real snug fit for Gluten Free, God knows how Paul will fit?I have registed my disappointment with the organising guy's (well they asked for feedback) about only getting one run in before 2-00 pmI don't mind being on the supporting undercard to the big boys in the single seater's but please treat us fairly!Getting up at 4-30 for a 7-15 am signing on time them only one run in the morning then an hour for the marshall's break is taking things a bit too far.Why can't thses types of events be run in two halves of the day so we all get equal treatment and don't have to get up so early?I don't normally like to winge but 2 years in a row with a low entry and very cold weather and only 3 runs in the day has worn very thin with me.Hopefully they can rejig things for next year before we have to review our support of this event on such a great track!I will put my tin helmet on now!Gluten Free

Hi Graham,

I'll be interested to see what response you get to your feedback. I can probably add a couple of comments as an informal view (though should share that I'm a member of the organising Club).

The event is quite tough to run as the weather and let's say 'early season teething issues' with cars does make it rather prone to hold ups. This is why the single seaters run ahead of the 'traditional' last to go position, so they can turnaround for the Top12 runoff, and try to get the event finished before the cold or curfew time impact unduly.

I do recognise this has a knock-on effect to other classes though as you have experienced.

With such a long circuit there are a lot of Marshal Posts to fill and recruiting enough volunteers takes a real big push and determined effort. There have been events with some anxiety about securing proper cover.

I was delighted to have four Bath Uni students helping at the startline and its approach this year. One of the incentives to marshal is a free hot meal in the Tavern at lunchtime and I believe this plays an important part in getting the support we do. It's great the Marshals are given queuing priority, but please bear in mind the more distant posts also need to allow travel time both ways, and to be radio-checked back on post within that hour. I was on the startline and pretty cold and tired by lunchtime (after about 5.5 hours working) so have to say the chance to sit down for a short while was very welcome.

I hope these perspectives are useful from another participant on the day and that all feedback is reviewed to refine opportunities to make the most of such an exciting venue.

Andrew

Being a local(ish) the weather esp. Last year was the only.put off for this year. But with no early signs of snow I was hopeful.

Yes it's early in the season. And the pretty boys with there flash wings and things brake down. But I'll be there next year all the same trying to beat my time ;)

I do know how graham feels though. Long waiting times are a problem at this event. Always have been. I think at the end of the day it's no worse than it has been in previous years... Just the weather makes it feel pretty crappy when your stood around.

The boys and girls at the BMC understand the frustration. I think we are lucky to be racing at an event that has had so many problems with locals.

Some years ago. We had glorious weather (the first time Wscc were there) and a massive turn out. Law of average that will come again.. Well the weather anyway... I will always continue to support my local event... But if it snows again I might just stay in bed :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard some bad reports of this event and the time taken by the single seater guys etc and the times referred to seem to verify that

Only 1 practice and 2 timed run !! speaks for itself and does not seem good value for money

I have heard some bad reports of this event and the time taken by the single seater guys etc and the times referred to seem to verify that

Only 1 practice and 2 timed run !! speaks for itself and does not seem good value for money

The 1.75 lap format makes it difficult to run efficiently and hence a lot of waiting.  By the way the practice session is 2.75 laps of glorious circuit, ok if your fuel tank is big enough!

I see Bristol Motor Club run another sprint at Castle Combe on Saturday, 26th July - different format with only 1 lap (1.43 miles) and no British Sprint attendance so may run more smoothly.

May be worth SSOT looking at this event for 2015? (RobC may have attended and can comment) 

Though with the uncertainty of the British weather even a July event can't guarantee good weather; but the probability would be better than in March and snow would be very unlikely.

:) that's not that much grass :)

Not done the later event Paul. But do plan on having a look at that later on this year. I'll report back about it if I do.

Be a shame to not have combe on the calendar though I think esp as this one whilst not being great in times of runs, the fact that it's 1 3/4 laps makes up for it in my book.