One of those daft questions........

Yanto

That everybody wants to ask but nobody dare!

I have a problem concerning restraints, in the car that is.

I have Westfield 4 point harnesses fitted with an ordinary press release, but how do i get them tight and keep the "lap" belts down on my lap?

The procedure i used when initially setting them was to loosen the shoulder straps, tighten the "lap" belts then tighten the shoulder straps.

Everytime i get in i feel the shoulder straps are a bit loose so tighten them a bit, this is having the effect of winching the "lap" belts up, they are now at the bottom of my rib cage.

Is that the shoulder straps shouldn't be so tight that they hold me in place, i.e. should there be a bit of slack in them, so i'm not winching the "lap" belts up.

When you've all stopped laughing can you explain what you do?

I do the same, but without the continuous tightening of the shoulder straps. I too kept falling into the trap of tightening them then realising the lap was too high.

I might just drink more beer so I can use my belly to keep the lap straps in place...

I was going through a process of pre tightening the lap belts before getting in the car every few runs out

This winter I swapped to 6 point now I have more to mess with :(

I have heard that Playscool do a harness that lap belts tighten by pulling towards the centre buckel not pulling aft where there's no space for your hand when in the car

To be truly effective, harnesses need to be rather tighter than most think! I know what you mean though, it usually means the lap belt isn't tight enough, before the shoulder straps were adjusted.

Though it's also worth checking that the lap belts are actually fixed down in the right place in the car! 

Six point harnesses can be even more risky if not done up properly, as it won't be the bone of the pelvis that takes the load, but something rather squashier and delicate! 

Its a good question and one you should ask.  Talking to MSA scrutineer today belts should be tight  and fitted and in her words imagine going upside down at 100mph… would you want any slack? for road use i tighten my Playskool lap belt first and then shoulder straps so the buckle is near my lap.

Shoulder straps should be tight as comfortable 

HTH

James 

Mine are exactly the same Tomk, if they are too tight they are really uncomfortable

,loosen them slightly and it feels like i will fall out. Good question....

I've got the standard Westfield 4 point belts and know they are a pain. I found that I had to spend time getting the lap belt correct, which was a pain. it involved messing from out side the car moving the seat back wands as far a possible to give me more room and lots of trial and error. eventually I got them tight enough. I now don't touch the lap belts at all. When I stop I do release the shoulder straps though to make it easier to get them on and off and tighten them again once on the move (when pulling out of my dive I want to be able to lean forward so leave them loose). Thankfully the only other person who drives my car, my son, is smaller and when the seat is moved forward the lap belts are correct for him.

Passenger side is more tricky though, as a whole my usual passengers are of similar build so that once the belts are set they don't need much adjustment. When they do then it is a real faff and involves the same trial and error until the lap is correct.

I have thought about taking them apart buying some more bits and converting to pull up or just getting some Playskool belts to replace them.

Oh, and it's not a daft question. the daft bit is that Westfield still sell and supply belts with pull down lap belts.

Same problem for me as others have said. However I have a bit of blubber to keep the lap belt below my ribs. It's also the tightest, the shoulder belts just being tight but comfortable. If it's constantly up by your ribs, can you move the mounting point forward? There should be a least two.

I have the standard Westfield 4 point harnesses, and have to adjust them every time I get in the car, which is a pain!

How do you keep them set in the same position, as I cant seem to work this out with mine

You've found the problem with 4 point harnesses, they all do that,   I could never get mine right.  Solution for me was to go to the 6 point harnesses, I use 4 points for the road and 6 points for the track,  i'm a happy bunny now.

I can get them adjusted ok, but they just don't stay in the same position, the keep going loose

I'm going over to Playskool ones they look like they work the right way!

They do, although it took me a whole day adjusting the straps and buckles to fit me and the car.    Plus they are a bargain price.