Model Westfield

Robin Parker (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO

Are Beattie's still around? Or are they long since gone...

A favourite store many years ago :d

they went into Administration in 2001 :down: some of the stores were acquired by Model Zone who likewise went into Administration in June last year and were subsequently bought by WHSmiths.

My first job at the age of 15 was as a sales assistant in the Colchester branch of Beatties. in the 3 months I worked there I made very little money as everything I earnt was spent in store on upgrades for my RC cars or model kits :o:oops::d

How sad. I was addicted to building the Tamiya 1/12 scale F1 kits when I was a lad, used to cost me a fortune! But Beattie's were one of few places that kept most of them in stock.

Sad indeed :down: It was actually poor sales of computer games which ultimately led to their demise rather than the model kit, RC and diecast side of the business which they were known for.

Those Tamiya F1 kits weren't cheep but the detail was superb :cool: I was only earning £2/hour so never could afford one.

I notice the blue beatties radio control bag in one picture ,rough rider or sand scorcher anyone ?

Well spotted, it's a Toyota Hi-Ace 4x4 pick up, been sat in the bag, in the loft for about 15 years.

I was gutted when Beatties closed, got a gift voucher for my birthday only to find they closed a week later! I've now found a Model Railway shop locally that has a small collection of plastic kits.

Got a little more done tonight. First I've sanded the rear wheel arches ready for the first coat of primer,

Westfield008_zps83723e20.jpg

Westfield009_zps2c5379de.jpg

I'll get some primer on tomorrow, then I can see where anymore filling is needed,

Moving on to the bonnet and cowl,

Westfield010_zpsbd84177a.jpg

Bonnet anged to meet the cowl,

Then I had to think about how to do the three recesses on the bonnet,

Westfield012_zpsa78f619f.jpg

Marked up,

Westfield013_zpsbd29c603.jpg

Cut and filed. Let's see how that looks with the primer on!

• 3 months later...

Well, it's been a long time since an update in fact it's been a long time since any modeling was done! So I thought it was about time I got back in the loft and did something to the Westfield.

WestfieldModel017_zpsdfcb8547.jpg

Primed and filled,

WestfieldModel018_zps9945aff1.jpg

WestfieldModel019_zpsa2c0cbc7.jpg

Filler rubbed off,

On to the engine. The kit comes with a "Pre-crossflow" whereas my car has a Crossflow, meaning the carbs are on the wrong side. I had two choices, move the carbs or use this,

WestfieldModel022_zps7f985eff.jpg

A Crossflow from a Morgan.

I couldn't bring myself to break it up,

WestfieldModel020_zps68058ce8.jpg

WestfieldModel021_zps94eb4117.jpg

Then I needed some K & N's,

WestfieldModel023_zps90df981f.jpg

WestfieldModel024_zpsec9ba931.jpg

And the bonnet cutting,

WestfieldModel025_zps08261678.jpg

Thats all for now.

Nice, Wifes always catching me looking round the kids toys departments for Westy models. Only one I've found so far is this one, but it's a cat https://plus.google.com/photos/113992112805904719213/albums?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1#photos/113992112805904719213/albums/6025662781423105873

Red, you going into mass production soon?

Terry

DSCF3592.JPG

• Like 1

You could add a model driver, sitting in the seat holding a model that contains a driver......... :down:

Nice model though.

Thanks for the replies, and no, I'm not going in to mass production!! Sorry. But I'll help out if anyone fancies doing their own.

got a bit more done to the engine tonight,

WestfieldModel001_zpsb55460ab.jpg

Moved the plugs to the other side of the engine, painted the block, then thought about the seats.

My car has "Tomb Stone" type seats, similar to the Lotus but with more bolster to them. So I had to work out how to shape the backs,

WestfieldModel002_zps50e0787a.jpg

WestfieldModel003_zps11a58894.jpg

While the filler was drying I looked through the parts box for something to make the cycle wings from and found these,

WestfieldModel004_zps7b3949d0.jpg

Seats from a MGB.

WestfieldModel005_zps47ff2e18.jpg

With a bit of cutting,

WestfieldModel006_zps00bc72ec.jpg

WestfieldModel008_zps8ce6968f.jpg

Could have been made for it.  with some filling and shapeing all will be fine.

Thats all for now.

• Like 2

Awesome thread - Love watching model making!  :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Moving on to the cycle wings, I needed to find a curved piece of plastic the correct shape to make the wings from, I found this,

Westfieldmodel001_zps3308fe4d.jpg

Cut this part out,

Westfieldmodel003_zpsfadaf4bc.jpg

Westfieldmodel004_zps84df0708.jpg

Needs a bit of shaping.

Also got some paint on the engine,

Westfieldmodel006_zpsef5d8af8.jpg

And a quick mock up,

Westfieldmodel007_zpsbf412e4c.jpg

Westfieldmodel008_zpsae75f206.jpg

Nearly ready for some more primer.

More updates soon.

Such patience and attention to detail, I'm jealous. Wish I was capable of this.

• Like 1