Tyres

pickmaster Andy Lowe

Well it's getting close to that time of year again :)

I've started looking at tyre sizes and makes for sprinting this next season in road going class

What size?

Is 185 upto the job in a soft

Would 215 be better but almost £100 more for 4

Is 225 going oversize if I can even get them to fit!

What manufacturers are people leaning towards

I've got spare wheels just for sprint tyres so not bothered by wear rates

Had 205's on mine but there was/is a chain of thought that reckons 195 are adequate and should warm up quicker.

Hi greenandmean were you running the 205 with your tuned high spec xflow?

Hi , yes but also with my previous car (app120bhp x flow)

Toyo 888 on previous car.

Khumo V70 on Mass engine car.

Yes that's the plan, they will take up to 225 but I'm thinking they won't heat quickly enough in a sprint and might not fit under arches

I ran 185 GG 888s last year, these were too hard but a great road trackday tyre

So I was thinking 205 front maybe bigger rears but looking at other opinions

Will mixing sizes unsettle the car?

Mixing sizes won't necessarily upset the balance of the car, depending of course what sizes you mix!!

Not a lot of choice with 13" wheels, and road legal tyres anyway.

Look on the website of the main suppliers of trackday tyres, and then concentrate on those who do a soft or supersoft rubber, and you'll see what I mean.

Last season I used Khumos, 215/50x13" on the front, and 235/45x13" on the back. Next season I may change manufacturer ( ;)  ;) ) and it may mean I have to use the same size front and back, such as 215/55x13" depending what is available, but with wider wheels on the back compared to the front because that is what I have available.

When I used Toyo 888s it was 205/50x13" all round because that was what was available in that tyre.

If you want more choice you need to use 15" wheels, but then the wheels will be slightly heavier and the tyres likewise, and the ride height is likely to be higher unless you compromise on suspension geo.

The tyres of choice for sprints/hills are either Kumho v700 (Supersoft) or Avon ZZR (A24 compound).

Evidence has shown the Avons to be slightly quicker than the Kumhos.

Width will depend on what you can fit under your arches and also the weight/power of your car.

Stephen and Paul I know what you mean it's all a compromise on size

I have a sheet of A4 with lists of potential tyres listed by manufactures then sizes

I do want to stay 13" for weight and low ride

The car only weights 500kgs on the bathroom scales x 4

It's about 150 BHP at the wheel now

Hi Pickmaster

I used 185/55/13 ZZRs all around for a few events at the end of last year and was presently surprised by the grip levels. That said will probably try 215's on the rear this year.

I had previously used 195 front and 205 rear 15" Kumoho's. To me the ZZRs had the edge slightly.

But both sets of tyres were used not new so may not be a great comparison but was still surprised how well the 185's coped on the rear.

I have around 170bhp

I see people mentioning 2 compounds of the ZZR's (thought there was only 1 in 13")  how can I tell what I have, is it marked on the tyre somewhere?

Cheers

Ian

I see people mentioning 2 compounds of the ZZR's (thought there was only 1 in 13")  how can I tell what I have, is it marked on the tyre somewhere?

Cheers

Ian

Yes its marked on them. However, only BMTR sell them so if they didnt come from there then they wont be A24

im running 185 fonts and 205 rears

increasing the tyre size alone may actually reduce the cars handling. if your rims are not wide enough you will end up just wallowing round bends on all the play in the sidewall

Cheers John.

Will have to have a close look.

As they were bought second hand, I don't know where they were from originally

If you have a fairly light car with 150 bhp, you might find 185s on the front would be ideal, with a slightly wider rear. But don't mix makes whatever you do, trackday/sprint tyres do have quite different characteristics from one make to another, so it really is a case for most of us of choose your make/model first, then see what available sizes there are before making a final decision.

avon compound is marked on the side wall with a number but its not easy to tell unless you know the code.