Kid's Tablet buying advise!

Marcus Barlow - Show and Events Co-ordinator

Evening all,

I've a 9 year old and a 6 year old who both want tablet's from Santa .. seen some in toys r us ready set up  with parent controls etc but for the 9 year old a tesco hudl or something similar might be better but don't want to give him a free range on the net, what's best?

Cheers Marcus

dont waste your money on anything else but a 32gb ipad mini (not retina version). the others are just pretend!

I'd agree.

Mine had Kindles last year and they just don't quite cut the mustard compared to Apple.

I ended buying my two (8&9) mini iPads for this xmas. £219 from John Lewis. £30 cheaper than Apple plus you get a 2nd year warranty thrown in.

For their age stick i stuck with 16gb.

I recommend the hudl good value price android apps simple to set google to safe search. I would recommend getting app locker as you can passkey protect apps and items such as play store.

Ipads are over priced and apple support is rubbish. If your child breaks something don't expect them to help you at all. My sister in law had this problem with argos and the apple store playing lets blame each other and do naff all.

Ipads are over priced and apple support is rubbish. If your child breaks something don't expect them to help you at all. My sister in law had this problem with argos and the apple store playing lets blame each other and do naff all.

What were you expecting if you broke it? If it's a genuine product fault Apple are superb in my experience. The one problem we've ever had with an Apple product involved the cellular network signal failing on my wife's iPhone 5 when it was 6 or so months old. The Bristol Apple store asked what we'd tried, accepted they wouldn't have done anything else, backed up the old phone and handed over a new phone ready to run. Incidentally the person waiting next to us though Apple product were crap because her new iPhone 5S broke after she took it into a steam room. I think they offered a discounted replacement.

You misunderstood it broke after a few days ie stopped working for no reason argos said take it to apple store apple said take it to argos. Back and forth eventually apple said they would repair not replace and it took them 3 weeks and a lot of phone calls.

Also if you don't believe apple have a crap customer service talk to the people who had their phones updated to ios7 and their phone stopped working apples solution "buy a new phone" it was only customer pressure that apple released an install routine to take phones back to ios6.

Im sure you'll disagree but I've had this from lots of people. Apple good product crap attitude.

And don't get me started on itunes buy through their store or you lose your music when they force updates terrible.

You misunderstood it broke after a few days ie stopped working for no reason argos said take it to apple store apple said take it to argos. Back and forth eventually apple said they would repair not replace and it took them 3 weeks and a lot of phone calls.

Also if you don't believe apple have a crap customer service talk to the people who had their phones updated to ios7 and their phone stopped working apples solution "buy a new phone" it was only customer pressure that apple released an install routine to take phones back to ios6.

Im sure you'll disagree but I've had this from lots of people. Apple good product crap attitude.

And don't get me started on itunes buy through their store or you lose your music when they force updates terrible.

Doesn't that fall under the Sale of goods act and make it entirely the problem of Argos as far as you're concerned?

Curious on the iTunes front. I've been using it since 2006 and it carries music over between updates and devices no problem regardless of where it came from (mine is 50:50 CD:iTunes sourced). The only issues I've had with it seem to relate to my old PC where it was difficult for it to pick up the device and generally ran badly. The constant iTunes updates on the other hand drive me mad. iOS updates are also terrifying events. iOS4 pretty much killed my poor iPhone 3G. They shouldn't have suggested it was ok for that model to run! iOS7 did work perfectly for me all round thankfully (as did iOS6 I think).

I recently bought a new first gen nexus 7 for £116 and really can't fault it. I can't imagine why a child would need anything even as good as this - I'd look at the Hudl personally.

Legally your contract is with the supplier (Argos) and nothing to do with Apple.

Very good guide to consumer rights from Eversheds (major law firm): http://www.eversheds.com/global/en/what/articles/index.page?ArticleID=en/Retail/Consumers_right_to_request_a_free_repair_replacement_of_goods

Consumers' rights are broader than many people expect.

Anyway, back to the question, some of the Android tablets are not bad at all (and considerably cheaper than the Apple ones) but then you're into the question of whether they'll have access to the same apps that their friends are using.

we bought my little un a samsung galaxy tab 2 tablet last year he was 9 at the time and has used it all year and its been faultless, swmbo has an ipad but for what kids do why spend that much??  the samsung does everything he wants it to do , and does the job very well at a fraction of the price, he has access to his mams ipad and cant say ive seen him use it once,  best thing about Apple imho is the marketing, they appear to be good at brainwashing the public, same story with their phones, other phones out there better and cheaper.  

A year ago my daughter wanted an iPod so gave her the wife's old iPhone 3s without the phone card

It was only worth about £50 2nd hand, not £150 for a new iPod

Still going strong iPad mini is on the Santa list this year