Insurance companies for Westfields...

Deanspoors

What gets me the most with insurance companies is the continuing punishment for loyalty.  For the last few years I have had to tackle Direct Line because my tintop renewal premium has been several tens of pounds more than exactly the same cover quoted online as a new customer.  Always reduced without question and always competitive after reduction, but the profit in creaming loads of lazy/busy/uninformed people must be higher than p*ssing off and risking the loss of long-term customers.  Really shouldn't be allowed.

• Like 2

I'd recommend A plan, £98 fully comp for a 2 litre zetec, 2000 miles limit, Matthew in the office is very helpful,and with some luck he might read this and I'll win this month's comp for free breakdown cover.

Just insured my new v8 toy/daily drive with Aplan £370 and no NCB to transfer. Everyone else was £500 and above.

What gets me the most with insurance companies is the continuing punishment for loyalty.  For the last few years I have had to tackle Direct Line because my tintop renewal premium has been several tens of pounds more than exactly the same cover quoted online as a new customer.  Always reduced without question and always competitive after reduction, but the profit in creaming loads of lazy/busy/uninformed people must be higher than p*ssing off and risking the loss of long-term customers.  Really shouldn't be allowed.

House insurance, car insurance, breakdown cover, they're all at it.

My house insurance renewal in Feb was +£150 on last years, when I phoned them they were trying to claim they couldn't reduce the quote because it was within 1 week of the renewal date and the renewal would go through.

So I told the girl on the phone that a) i'd called their non-premium rate number (thx to saynoto0870.com) b) I had all day c) I want the policy cancelled and d) I was going to take my business elsewhere. They soon changed their tune............

It really annoyed me, but as I said, they're all as bad as each other and ultimately it's not the insurer that's trying it on, it's the middle management trying to meet targets in the most devious and lazy way possible, by shafting the customer.

House insurance, car insurance, breakdown cover, they're all at it.

As I say, only one I know of as yet is Chaucer which I have used for the tintop.

- Last renewal was the same as the previous year give or take.

- When on the online comparison site, there price was the same plus 10%.

- Rang back with a lower quote from another firm and they said they could not match it.

- I did then go else where as it was £100 less (down to £380ish) which was said, but also fair play to them.

Daniel

Totally agree - the sales people obviously get a "new business" bonus and then the company (or broker) hope you won't notice when the renewal price creeps up (some even insist on having your credit card "on record" to auto renew - the funniest I heard was that it "was a legal requirement in order to make sure you had continuous car insurance" ) - needless to say, none of those get my business !!   

I have found that A-Plan are an exception on both counts - my premium actually went down £5 (to £92) and they were not pushy in any way - in fact they found me home and contents insurance with a major company at a significantly lower price than I paid last year :)

I ended up with Adrian Flux as they gave me a great deal on the Tin-top and the Westy - but then got a nasty sting in the tail!

AFTER I paid up they sent me a note saying I had to cough up an extra £50 as I'd given them the wrong date on a speeding conviction.

Now, I can't honestly recall exactly what I'd said when the salesman took my details over the phone, but I believe it was his mistake not mine (can't see why I would tell them it was a year earlier than it was).

I have been on to them and explained that I am not happy - and can they check the "recorded for training malarky" to see who said what.

Problem is, they did send me a form to review and yes, hands up, I did miss the date when reading it, so I guess they can say "you agreed to the form" - but surely, when getting a quote and they ask "any convictions in last 5 yrs" it should be just that and not an exact date - that the quote was based on? 

So, maybe the £50 is a fee for the amendment rather than a hike for having a conviction a year sooner than 'claimed' - if so, I am still pee'd off at having to pay for the sloppy note-taking of the salesman!

Rant over - awaiting a "manager's decision"

Had major "admin" problems with AF a few years back on another vehicle - they back tracked on what I believed to have been an agreed value policy (again, discussed over the phone with an obviously overly enthusiastic sales agent) but strangely enough, policy comes through with "market value" and who has a record of EXACTLY what was said !! ("oh, sorry, that sales agent no longer works for us") ........... then they wanted extra admin charges to change it - I said cancel it then and I got back virtually nothing from over £200.....sorry AF, once bitten, twice shy and your reputation goes before you.

Rant over - awaiting a "manager's decision"

Well, fair play to Adrian Flux - they went back over the call that was made (so they do record them) and it seems that it wasn't clear who was to blame (or made an error), so they are refunding the added cost.

Can't say fairer than that for good follow up service.

• Like 1

Good news Chris.

Just insured mine through A-plan.

New S2000 £165 + £20 for legal, so I didn't even phone round.

The thing to remember / bear in mind, is that by "fleecing" all the people who just auto renew their insurance (can't be bothered) they are subsidising people like us who can be bothered, and I'm happy with that. If everyone drove the hardest bargain all our policies would be higher.

There was a guy on another forum I use recently who was paying the RAC £320 a year for the same cover I pay £120 for. He'd just let it renew for years and years and had no idea how much he was over paying....

Another :) for Mathew at A Plan. Just under £200 for fully comp, legal and breakdown with a 5,000 mile limit for a SEiW with 2.0 zetec which is soon to be mine :)

great service too.

• 2 weeks later...

Just renewed with frank pickles

£99.00 - a tenner less than last year :)