O/T Definately not your usual what bike engine question

Mark (smokey mow)

They are little cars, don't think it would move if I got in one, come to think of it, I don't think I could get in one.   Has Castle Coombe track moved? the website says CC is in Glocs.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark (smokey mow)

• Norman Verona

• Graham0127

• XTR2Turbo

Has Castle Coombe track moved? the website says CC is in Glocs.

Probably a bit of confusion as Johnny Walker were based in Gloucestershire, but CC is only a mile or so over the border into Wiltshire :)

My T100 had race high compression pistons and in a straight line it was ballistic. But Nortons went around corners quicker which is why Tritons were so good.. I even had a dustbin fairing on it to start with. Sold it for £17 in about 1965!

Here you go, Mark,  Advice from my Brit Bike Guru buddy as promised.  I've copied it in word for word:

I hope the £ 150 barrier isn't still in force.

Your mate is right, that compared to Brit metal, jap stuff has better power to weight.
How pure does you mate want to be?

1960's Jap 2 stroke twins were pretty phenomenal. With tuned pipes, they would be "interesting" (I know of a bloke in Wootton Basset who makes custom expansion chambers)
Well that's for the mental end of the spectrum.
The Triumph engines of the 60's were reckoned to be the best, hence the creation of the "Triton". There are loads of modified tuning parts around and as the bikes are extensively raced in classic bike racing, an enormous amount of improved bits. With Brit bits, they are not horrendously expensive.

The Yamaha XS 650 is probably the best Brit 650, other than the bit about it being from beyond the eastern part of the Empire.
Fantasticaly well designed. However as much of the early Jap stuff was made for ease of casting rather than longevity, they have a tendancy to dissolve in the UK climate.
I think [another local mate] may have an XS 650 engine (or two) that is in reasonable nick. I don't know about UK availability, he was getting bits from the US.
I guess its the old story "Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"

I have reasonable knowledge of Norton Matchless and Triumph engines.
The Villiers/ AJS Starmaker 250 was quite a flyer, and there are chaps out there making fast road racers with highly modified engines. (Racing Honda internals insde Villiers castings.
If economy is an issue, then AJS/Matchless engines are probably more plentiful than Triumph or Norton.
The AJS Club has just started producing "new" crankshafts which means they can be given a new lease of life. I have a set of casings if your mate wants to try one for size.

Message ends.

HTH :t-up:

Here you go, Mark,  Advice from my Brit Bike Guru buddy as promised.

HTH :t-up:  

Thank :t-up: thats a great help and reinforces some of the earlier comments and my own reserch. Please thank your mate from me for his help :yes:

I guess the next step is to look at price and availability of some of the different engine options. Not just prices for complete engines but also spares and their availability since I suspect almost anything from the 1960's that isn't currently sat in a running bike will be in need of some type of rebuilding.

Mark,there is a guy in Navestock (near South Weald)called Paul.He runs Classic TriumphTwin Spares.He has just about every spare,new,used,recon,original or pattern.I`ve had plenty of bits from him.He`s a strange bloke but has a wealth of knowledge and will have any part you need........if you go the Triumph route.

Don`t go the AMC (AJS/Matchless )route though,they did make two exceptional engines,7R,350 single  and G50,500 single. but these wouldn`t be suitable and are as rare as hens teeth in any case.The rest are not as good as the T100.

Ariel two stroke twins were/still are amazing,tweekable beyond belief for a little 250,but the weight of the car would rip their heart out.

Keep us all informed...cracking project.

Mark, any chance of some photo's. Like a before, during and after set.

Mark,there is a guy in Navestock (near South Weald)called Paul.He runs Classic TriumphTwin Spares.He has just about every spare,new,used,recon,original or pattern.I`ve had plenty of bits from him.He`s a strange bloke but has a wealth of knowledge and will have any part you need........if you go the Triumph route.

Thanks Graham, thats a useful local contact to know and I've just found his website :yes:

Mark, any chance of some photo's. Like a before, during and after set.

Certainly, I'm sure I'll be doing a blog once I make a start properly.  At the moment there's a lot of reasearch being done, reading articles and talking to other owners before I so much as pick up a spanner.  but to get you started this should give you an idea of where I am at the moment :)

and this is what it should look like once finished

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq299/mark_wendon/JW4/walkerside2.jpg

Despite the colour of the bodywork I shall be resisting the urge to paint an orange stripe up the centre of it :laugh:

8981dccebdb444e141a982956219551b.jpg

c2e154def4b6e41db8184aab4b8cf95c.jpg

6ca2f480d3ed25cda5019fa2459afa43.jpg

Looks OK, should be an interesting rebuild.

Agree with the aerial sports bike 250cc twin, smooth high revving 2 stroke twin power with good handling.

What a bike compared to the aerial leader and it could nearly keep up with my Triumph. It was very impressive to ride and that was in 1964

Fantastic project, I want one.

There is this on the bay but not long to go (27 mins).. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Unit-500-T100A-Engine-/140946876285?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item20d116a77d

Thanks :yes: i've been watching that engine, but I'd much rather start with something which is assembled to know I'm getting all the bits :oops: even if whatever I buy does then need a rebuild. A bit more thinking still to do first though before I start parting with any cash :)

A bit more thinking still to do first though before I start parting with any cash :)

I'd imagine this is akin to Deep Thought contemplating the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.........such awesome computing power!